particle board for coop

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I was at re-store today and they had a lot of what looked like 1/2 inch particle board for $5 per piece, pieces were different sizes but at least 4 ft. I was wondering if I could use that for the coop I want to build (something in the order of 8'x8'x8'). Is this stuff usable as cladding on the outside walls, or is it interior use only? How about the floor? Could I use it for next boxes? Does this stuff emit toxic fumes which would be bad for the chickens' health?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I was thinking of trying to use some particle board we have sitting in the garage for a duck pen, until I realized that when it gets wet, it swells - not good for my wet and messy ducks, but maybe chickens.
hu.gif

if you paint it, the particle board will be fine. We used it and live in SWFlorida, where it is wetter/humid than most places. If you paint each piece before you screw it together, sealing it, it should be fine. maybe some minor swelling, but nothing that will cause it to be damaged.

Hi Annarie! fiddlebanshee: I don't think you want to use it. It's made of sawdust and glue. Don't know about the toxic aspect but as Annarie pointed out if moisture gets to it, it aborbs it, swells and falls a part then I think the birds might eat it. Plus you'd have to rebuild when it gets really bad. It's used for subfloors in houses. It's flat and stays that way when layed horizontaly. Chip board or OSB would be a better choice. Oriented Strand Board would last longer as long as you primer and paint it. But far and away you can't beat plywood if primered and painted. It's more expensive but you have to think of how many times would you have to rebuild to equal the cost of the plywood. Go with the plywood if you can.

I could see it being used for nest boxes if they are interior and you lined the nest boxes with plastic tubs (I didn't use particle board, but did line mine with tubs). My nest boxes have never gotten wet/damp, so no big deal. However, I don't think $5 sounds like that great a deal anyhow, if it's for a 4 x 4 sheet. But maybe you meant a 4 x 8 sheet???

Back
Top Bottom