Partly absorbed yolk and difficulty standing

Sericus

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2023
Hi dear bird lovers!

I have one unfortunate chick in my new hatch. Hatched unassisted in the beginning of day 22, now 14 hours old. It's a big baby and appears bottom heavy, possibly due to not fully absorbing the yolk (see the photo below) and tends to flop over onto his back or side. The yolk piece seems to be drying up nicely and is not being pecked at, so I've left it as is for now. I gave it a little electrolyte water. Apart from not being able to walk, it's fairly alert, vocal and his little leg kicks are strong when picked up.

My questions are if I should do something about the piece still attached to the navel and if I should tape the legs as if dealing with splayed legs to see if it helps with balance? Any advice is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• 2E4BFBFB-F121-4E1D-AF98-8A88FA05DD76.jpeg
    2E4BFBFB-F121-4E1D-AF98-8A88FA05DD76.jpeg
    689.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 6F470DA0-278F-4B93-A0A3-2595D64F9A8D.jpeg
    6F470DA0-278F-4B93-A0A3-2595D64F9A8D.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 18
Hi dear bird lovers!

I have one unfortunate chick in my new hatch. Hatched unassisted in the beginning of day 22, now 14 hours old. It's a big baby and appears bottom heavy, possibly due to not fully absorbing the yolk (see the photo below) and tends to flop over onto his back or side. The yolk piece seems to be drying up nicely and is not being pecked at, so I've left it as is for now. I gave it a little electrolyte water. Apart from not being able to walk, it's fairly alert, vocal and his little leg kicks are strong when picked up.

My questions are if I should do something about the piece still attached to the navel and if I should tape the legs as if dealing with splayed legs to see if it helps with balance? Any advice is much appreciated :)
I think you need to just put it under the heat lamp or broody hen (idk) and just let it get it's strength. It can take up to 24 hours for chicks to start walking!

Back
Top Bottom