Partridge question *New Pic*

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
On Sunday I found a pair of Chukar Partridge by my backdoor. I was able to sit a foot from them, give them scratch grains and even pet them. They eventually got tired of us and flew into the neighbors yard. Afterwards I found out that they are not wild in our area and being as they let me pet them, they were probably hand raised pets that someone let go.

We have heard them in our yard and the neighbors and saw them down the street all week. This morning the female was running up and down the road and let me get close enough to pick her up. I put her in a cage and set the cage in the spot where I first saw them in my yard.

Does anyone know if she will call the male? She is not making any sounds, seems quite content in the cage nibbling on food and grasses. I haven't seen the male anywhere all morning/day, but I am pretty sure I heard both of them chattering very early this morning.

I have grains out to coax him into my driveway if he comes down the road and some food around the cage where she is. I am really hoping he didn't get hurt or killed and that they just got separated. I am still kicking myself for not capturing them together the first time. It seems they are easy food for predators around here.

Here is a pic of the pair. I have the one on the right.
10683_screenhunter_03_apr_29_0659.gif

Last edited:
wow yeppers not from here...I actually know of a breeder over your way with a massive amount of these birds (and many others) he may have had some escapees hmm. Yes deffinatly catch him if you can poor guys imglad you caught the one so far!
fl.gif

If I don't ever find the male, hopefully I can find someone to buy one from. I would hate for her to be alone.

She doesn't seem the least bit interested in getting out of the cage. I just checked on her and she is snuggled down in a nest of hay. Almost seems like she is happy to feel safe and not be on the run.

Well now I know why she was all snuggled down in the hay a bit ago. Lookie what she gave me! Is this my reward for saving her? Needless to say, I popped it into my incubator lol

10683_screenhunter_01_apr_30_1204.gif

Quote:
haha that is so cool!!! He may have gotten eaten sadly but atleast now you may have a baby from him from her!
smile.png
You may need a permit to own these in PA but I am unsure if you don't sell them or give them away you are in fine to own them though I'd assume. Because you can have bobwhites and pheasants without a permit as long as you dont sell trade release barter or give them away but if you do you need a permit so I assume it's the same for chukars though I dunno
smile.png
Coturnix is the only quail I know of that you can enjoy sell barter, trade and give away without a permit which is nice since they're my fave. Congrats on teh eggie!!
celebrate.gif

BTW i think that guy does sell chukars that i was mentining about if you'd like his number I can get it for you from my mom
smile.png

I am not sure if a permit is needed or not. I know I go to a poultry auction not far from here and they constantly sell Pigeons, Doves, Bobwhites, Coturnix, Pheasant, Turkeys and various other feathered creatures. Nobody there ever mentions permits. I wouldn't be selling any anyway. I will just try to hatch whatever eggs she lays in the near future
smile.png

If you could get that breeders number for me, that would be great, thanks!

I still haven't seen the male anywhere, nor heard him. I would hate for her to be alone. I checked online and you can only buy 35-50 minimum from hatcheries and thats a bit much.

Quote:
Yeah theres lots of people selling them illegally, I only warn you just incase they do need permits to sell n all that good stuff because if you're anything unlucky like me you would be the one to get caught
lau.gif
I will never honestly understand how a peice of paper bought makes someone special over anyone else in reguards to selling birds but whatever...lol!

I will deffiantly tell my mom tonight that i need his number if she doesnt have it off hand she'll get it for me tomorrow as long as i keep on her to remember
big_smile.png

I tried searching for any laws about them, but only came up with ones saying you needed a hunting or dog training license to release quail and partridge to hunt and some stuff that pertained to large poultry dealers. So hopefully its not a big deal for the small person to have them. I would be that unlucky tho lol.

Thanks!

Quote:
Oh like i said as long as you just keep them for your own enjoyment and dont sell them or their eggs (before talking to the game commission) you'll be fine
hugs.gif
smile.png
still waitin on the phone number
smile.png

This is the guy my mom and dad knows I don't know if he's the owner of this site, but I know it's a long shot but this is the way my mom said to do it lol. He is in Harrisburg, and he has Chukars and a bunch of other game birds my dad says hes' pretty sure that he sells to everyone so if I were you i'd call their contact info and ask if they *know* anyone who sells chukars the worst you'll get is a "no" and if you do let me know and I'll push my mom to find his personal phone number
lau.gif
smile.png
He's offered my dad to offer me his birds before and my dad is pretty sure he sells to anyone who is interested yet this site doesnt say anywhere on it about birds but it wouldnt hurt ot call them and ask
smile.png

http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idPage=5

Back
Top Bottom