Partridge Rock Roo?

bloom_ss

Songster
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
At almost 10 weeks old is this a roo? It almost sounded like one this evening when I frightened it in the coop and it made this really weird sound as it ran out the pop door.
hmm.png

This is my son's chicken, Taco. I really hope it isn't another roo since I know I've already got one for sure. =(

It's a girl. Look at my old roo's comb at 8 weeks. Sorry the photo is so dark, it's hard to see coloring.

and here he is at 12 weeks old.

This is Maxine (pullet) at 9 weeks old.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!! That is great news! =)

Its a pullet, the rooster would have different coloration.
That looks like a broiler in your 5th pic, looks about ready to eat.
Yes, that is a Cornish Roaster...one more week until processing. She got picked on a bit by the other chickens so she has a few bare patches on her sides. Our other roaster broke it's leg at about 4 weeks of age so we had to put it down and put the second one in with the other chicks. I feel sorry for her, but I have nowhere else to keep her separate until processing and I think she would get lonely. At least she isn't bleeding or anything...just a few missing feathers so far. I have been keeping a close eye on her though.

Mine is also 9 weeks and has been making noises just like that also.I thought for sure it had to be a roo but everyone on here says the feathering is pullet. I think it may just be the breed cause my other chickens aren't making the noise. My daughter said to her it sounds like a goose lol here is a picture of mine

The photos I see above have chickens with mainly barring on their feathers. Does it evolve into the V-shaped stripes as they get older, or is that just a variation and the birds will always have horizontal barring instead of the v-shaped penciling or lacing or whatever the proper name is?

I have one on order from MyPetChicken, and I don't know how much of the appearance depends on hatchery vs. breeder or what. I only need the eggs, but the "typical" pattern on a partridge rock is beautiful.

Yes. The penciling changes.

If you look at the girl in the background, you can see her chest feathers. The chest feathers show the penciling first, then the rest of the feathers follow.

Back
Top Bottom