Partridge rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by holly ann, May 27, 2012.

1. holly ann

holly ann In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Gettysburg, PA
    I see Plymouth Rocks, but the store I got my chicks from said "Partridge Rock." Are they the same? Also, I don't see much about Dixie Rainbows. I have two of them. How come?

2. texas75563

texas75563 Songster

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    Partridge Plymouth Rocks are a lesser known color variation of the original Barred Rocks. Partridge Rock Hens are a reddish-brown color with black edging down their back, breast and body. The copper coloring around their necks resemble partridges. Roosters are multi-colored, with red heads and upper backs and glossy black bodies, breast and tail feathers. Their saddle and hackle feathers are greenish-black and have a smattering of red throughout.

Status: A standardized, rare breed, Partridge Plymouth Rock chickens are listed with the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy list as “Recovering.”

Body Type: Long, broad bodies that are deep with bred-in vitality and strength.

Mature Weight: As established by the American Poultry Association, the standard weight for Partridge Plymouth Rock chickens is: adult male- 9 ½ pounds, hen- 7 ½ pounds, cockerel- 8 pounds, pullet- 5 pounds.

3. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    This is a Partridge Rock. Her name is Vera. Super friendly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. holly ann

holly ann In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Gettysburg, PA
    Yup. My 2 girls look just like yours. Beautiful, aren't they? Thanks for the info.

5. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

I am a big fan of the partridge colour variation.

The partridge colour should be darker than pictured above, but for hatchery that is what it should look like :)

Plymouth Rocks are amazing birds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  6. jimbo1989

jimbo1989 Songster

May 27, 2012
    springfield ma
    Hey would anyone know wat brred the hen that my avatar might be?

7. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Looks to be a mixed breed to me. Haven't seen another like her :) Very pretty!

8. jimbo1989

jimbo1989 Songster

May 27, 2012
    springfield ma
    Thanks alot im new to having hens....still waiting for the firstlay...learning as i go

9. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Welcome! Soon you will learn the addicting nature of raising poultry :oops:

Started out only wanting four.. Now I have 10 times that many. We even moved so we could expand lol. It's really enriching in my experience.

How many do you have now?

10. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chirping

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I believe that Veldfire is a partridge rock...am I correct?
    She has clean whitish yellow legs and feet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: