Partridge Sizzle?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunshineSilkies, Jun 10, 2009.

1. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Songster

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I have a beautiful black frizzle rooster that I penned up with a nice quality(not breeder quality) white silkie hen. I have hatched 3 clutches and all of the chicks have been black. Out of 12 chicks, 4 have been smooth and the rest frizzled but ALL solid black. Just hatched 2 of these little guys about 3 weeks ago. Looks like partridge to me, what do you think? Boy was I surprised since all of the other chicks have been black!!!!! On both of them, their wings are starting to frizzle! I guess I need to start studying chicken genetics.. The nice person I got the black roo from said the strain was originally from hatchery stock and my white silkie hen is from one of my white breeders...how could partridge have happened?[​IMG]

3 week old sizzle chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]These are from the same hatch.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Just b/c they're striped doesn't mean they'll necessarily come out partridge. They could just be a mixed color (like EEs that are striped) that is recessive in the parents. Can't wait to see what they look like when they grow up!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    LOL I had a sizzle start out partridge marked to become a gray mottled bird later. Partridge is sort of a default for "get ready to take pictures and wonder."

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Songster

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:I hear ya!!!![​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The down patterns indicate the genes present in the bird. There are a number of slightly different chipmunk striped patterns that indicate different gene sets. The dots on the chick's head are indicative of e^b, the most common e-allele for silkies, regardless of variety. I believe the fact that the side stripes are white rather than yellow indicates silver gene--but distinguishing the exact patterns is something I am just learning. It does look like partridge striping to me.

Genetically partridge/penciling (in silkies) is e^b/e^b Pg/Pg.

Let's assume that for some reason your black and white parents were not e^b/e^b, but rather that at least one was E/e^b or E^R/e^b. e^b is the most recessive of e-alleles, thus all chicks that inherited any other e-allele would build its colour and patterns on that e-allele rather than on e^b.

Statistically 50% would inherit a more dominant allele. The other 50% (assuming that one parent is e^b/e^b) could be partridge depending on the gene combinations. If both parents have only one copy of e^b, then only 25% will inherit both copies necessary to build a partridge. Since out of 14 chicks only two have been penciled I'm going to hypothesize that both parents have only one copy of e^b, and that the more chicks you hatch from this pair, the closer you will come to having 25% penciled offspring.

Alternatively, rather than e^b being the determiner, it could be that the white parent has incomplete melanizing genes, and that the striped chicks inherited the not-melanized version of those genes whereas the blacks inherited the melanized versions.

I'm not sure what happens when an e^b based black carries Pg--either one copy or two. So that is a third possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: