passing of my friendly chook Maybel

Bess6

Hatching
Mar 28, 2018
Gisborne New Zealand
Maybe was a cheeky chook that would sneak into my kitchen and steal the cat food, She would get under foot when I was gardening or run to the chick starter bin when I was refilling the quail feeding tray. I miss her every day as the other surviving two chooks are too busy scratching the lawn clippings. She ate well and drank from the clean trough. Then one day she looked a bit sad this lasted about 2 days she even sat under the Bogainvillea to get out of the rain so we put her into a separated coup. Sadly in the morning I found that she had bled to death from her rare end. Yet there had been no blood in her stools. On reading up I wondered if she had ovarian Cancer. She was an old rescue Battery hen the last of five from that farm

There is a disease called fatty liver hemorrhagic disease that is common in hens. Oviduct cancer would be my other guess. Many people either get a professional necropsy performed by a state poultry vet or lab, but for some things, we can also do a necropsy at home. Look at the organs, and some signs of disease may be obvious.

Very sorry for your loss. I am sure you will miss her. Those spunky pets with personality are always a treasure.

Greetings Bess6,

I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs

It sounds like Maybel was wonderful girl!

I agree with the previous posters, there are many things that she could have died from. Life ending reproductive conditions are common in hens. But there are other conditions to be mindful of, especially when blood is evident in the vent area.

A bacteria called Campylobacter, comes to mind. This bacteria, is zoonotic, meaning like salmonella, it can transfer to humans. The symptoms are: listlessness, weight loss, unthriftiness, sometimes mucousy, bloody diarrhea. It affects the intestines of the chicken, and is common worldwide. It is spread from the fecal droppings, on shoes, flies, roaches, etc.

Without a necropsy, there is no way to be certain what caused the hen's death. So, you may want to be vigilant, of the rest of the flock members. Hopefully, this is an isolated case, perhaps a cancer.

God Bless you, and your flock with good health. :)

Back
Top Bottom