1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasting up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fishman43, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    I got my 6 fuzzy butts from My Pet Chicken on Wednesday, 2 RI Reds, 2 Easter Eggers, and 2 Barred Rocks. So far all are great, except the two RI Reds are pasting up.

What causes pasting up?
    Why is it just the RI Reds?
    How long does this generally last (wiping chicken butts isn't high on my fun list)?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    It could just be that they got stressed! I would worry about it unless it kills one of the,.. how is mypetchicken.com??

3. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    I just received a batch of chicks too. One of them had a problem with it also. Trust me, it's not high on the chicks list either. They don't care for it either! It should end shortly. It usually comes form chick stress from shipping. If it last longer than a week, I would wonder why! Good Luck!

4. Fishman43

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    OK it sounds like shipping stress then. I wonder why the RIR are the only ones with it? I feel bad for one of the little fuzzy buts, even with a warm wet towel to soften the crust I pulled a few feathers when I tried to remove the poo. Now it is more of a naked butt then a fuzzy butt.

5. chikkinlittlesc

chikkinlittlesc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    South Carolina
    I usually put a little sugar in their water and feed them a little oatmeal mixed with plain yogurt. This helps with digestion and also gives them good bacteria from the yogurt.

6. Fishman43

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    Quote:They were great. I called several times to ask questions and their customer service was always good. The chicks shipped great, even with our over night temps the night they were in the box at ~2 degrees F.

7. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    what is the secret to keep tem warm?

8. Fishman43

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    They shipped them with a 48 hour chem. heater. Basically it is like one of those disposable heaters you can get to put in your gloves to keep your hands warm, but much bigger and a slower chemical reaction so that it gets ~100 degrees and lasts for ~48 hours.

9. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    I notice that they chicks from mypetchicken ship from meyer.

10. Fishman43

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    I don't know who they shipped from, I did notice that they came from OH and not the corporate office location in CT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by