Pasting up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Apr 16, 2008.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    My faverolle chicks are pasting up. I know how to use a warm wet paper towel to remove it, but is there anything I can do to discourage pasting up? I lost a lot of silkie chicks last winter to pasting up and don't want to lose my bantam favs!!!!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    First, it is important to identify the cause. Sometimes if the brooder is too hot or too cold, they will get pasty bums. Water that is too cold also contributes. And sometimes they are just having a tough time with digesting feed. If it's the feed, you can try hard boiled egg yolks or oatmeal to help their digestive issues.

As for keeping it clean, I apply baby oil or olive oil to keep it from pasting back up so quickly. Use a Qtip for an applicator..they work well on those little vents. [​IMG]

Jody

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Put vaseline, mineral oil or olive oil on the fanny after it is cleaned. Check them at least twice a day to see if they need cleaning again. Feed only chick starter, no treats yet. Make sure the water is not cold when you give it to them. Keep the brooder warm enough and no drafts. Even with proper food and care, some will still paste up. I had one like that this year, but he finally out grew it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by