Pasting

Adopted Chickenman

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Rogers
fl.gif
Need a little advice here. Two of my six chicks seem to be pasting up at least I think they are. They just turned five days old. I tried to clean them up as much as possible with a warm water soaked wash cloth, comb, then scissors when needed. I am afraid of hurting the little ones if I try to get everything off. After I remove as much as I can, I place them back into the brooder and the other chicks including the ones I just cleaned start to peck around the newly cleaned area. Of course the peckee lets out a peep in dismay then she pecks the other cleaned chick. Sometimes they even peck themself to clean off little pieces of dried poop. A vicious cycle. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to clean them off eaiser and safely. I don't want to stress them out any more than I have to. Besides, I have read that stress and lack of heat in brooder (still at 95 degrees) can cause this problem. Thanks to any input received.

I have found that warm RUNNING water is the best. Just hold their little butt under and with your fingers (yes, I know, gross) loosen any dried poop, trying not to lose any feathers (that way no bare skin shows to get pecked) then blow dry their butt so feathers are puffy again. If the area doesn't look different, they won't get pecked. You may have to do this for several days and maybe several times a day but after a couple of days you should be past this problem.

Back
Top Bottom