Pasture tractor - water question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fishpick, Jun 16, 2008.

  1. fishpick

    fishpick In the Brooder

    Apr 8, 2008
    In sorta following the model put forth by Joel Salatin for pasture raising broilers - I'm constructing the pen (tractor) this week... but I have come up with a question that would not be unique to any tractor design.

    Having the 5 gallon waterer inside the pen - obviously I want to have a bucket on top with a line down to the waterer (and if you have read his book he shows that - makes sense for quick water refills) - BUT - if there is a 5 gallon bucket on top with a water line running down to the waterer inside the pen - what - exactly - prevents the whole thing from draining out?

    Or in this system is there a stopcock I'm missing and you are supposed to fill the 5 gallon bucket on top - open the valve when some runs onto the ground - but you are filling faster than loss into the waterer... Which seems to not be too efficient.
  2. fishpick

    fishpick In the Brooder

    Apr 8, 2008
    OK - I checked out the post - and those look "cool" - but I don't think the water pressure from a 5 gallon bucket on top of it will allow it to function - and plumed in water isn't an option in the pasture... nor is a 55 gallon drum to move on top of the tractor...

    Hasn't anyone done the Salatin method and figured out what the 5 gallon bucket on top does?
  3. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    AFAIK it's plumbed into a gravity-pressure type waterer. WHether it is the one linked to, I don't know, but one of them. Make sure you get one designed to run off GRAVITY feed (very low pressure) not regular waterline pressure.

  4. GallowayFarms

    GallowayFarms Songster

    May 19, 2008
    OK. This is what he uses in his moveable pens.


    It is called a bell waterer.

    What i did was use 3 gallon rubber pan you can get at a feed store and made a shelf for it to sit on in the corner of the pen. Then you put a valve on the end of the hose going to the 5 gallon bucket to fill the pan either through the side or the top if your top is open.

    I also made a two foot door on my roof all the way across that was I just flip the door up and I have access to the feed and the water pretty easily.

    If you have any questions send me a pm and I will be glad to help.

    just do a good search for bell waterer to find places that sell them and info about them

    Good Luck


BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: