Pasty but chick picking feathers out!

Bazy

Songster
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
Parker, Texas
I have a one week old chick. Very healthy, but has had chronic pasty butt. I have to clean her butt at least twice per day. to the point of running tepid water on it and dry,dry,dry with a Kleenex so she doesnt' get a chill. The problem is that now that she is a little older and can reach her own butt, she is almost constantly picking at her vent and has picked a quarter size clean spot around her vent. She won't stop. When she poos, she chitters....like it's a lot of effort and her poo looks pretty normal. Maybe a little wet, so it sticks to her bare bottom a little but it doesn't clog her vent. She otherwise jumps around, eats and drinks like normal and is average size compared to her hatch-mates. What should I do?

Maybe I've dried her skin too much by washing it? I don't use any soaps..just tepid water. HELP! I'm afraid she is going to pick and pick and have an infection!

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I use pine tar. Whenever my chickens start pecking, whether it be at themselves or each other, I use a paint brush and paint the entire butt and around the vent (be careful not to paint the vent). It smells bad, tastes bad and is sticky. The chickens hate getting it on their beaks, so they won't peck. That way she can clean her vent without mutilating her butt! Try it, it can't hurt
1f609.png

I'm no expert, but I use pine tar. Whenever my chickens start pecking, whether it be at themselves or each other, I use a paint brush and paint the entire butt and around the vent (be careful not to paint the vent). It smells bad, tastes bad and is sticky. The chickens hate getting it on their beaks, so they won't peck. That way she can clean her vent without mutilating her butt! Try it, it can't hurt
1f609.png
Where do you get pine tar? And how long would you apply it? as in how many days?

THANKS!!

You can get pine tar from garden stores, farm shops, and possibly even Walmart. It's common, so you shouldn't have issues finding it. I'd give it a good layer, and leave it until it wares off or dries up. Then just re-apply a thinner layer. Keep it up till the feathers grow back. Then you can stop applying, and see what she does. If she re-plucks, re apply the tar. Good luck!
1f638.png

You can get pine tar from garden stores, farm shops, and possibly even Walmart. It's common, so you shouldn't have issues finding it. I'd give it a good layer, and leave it until it wares off or dries up. Then just re-apply a thinner layer. Keep it up till the feathers grow back. Then you can stop applying, and see what she does. If she re-plucks, re apply the tar. Good luck!
1f638.png
After you said that, I searched and found it at Tractor Supply!! I am going to give the girl a sticky butt and see if that solves the problem! Thank you SO much for taking the time to reply to me! I really appreciate you! :)

Back
Top Bottom