Pasty butt help!

Ms Gooseington

Hatching
6 Years
May 15, 2013
Hi there,

My chicks are only a few days old....I've read about pasty butt so while cleaning their litter today I inspected each one. All the chicks looked healthy and clear except one. So I got some warm water and rinsed her off and cleared away any dry poop. But hers does not look like the others. He butt seems to be swollen looking and even after I washed her up she's pecking at it. :/

Is there anything else I can do or should be doing?

Hi, I read about using ACV in their water to help prevent pasty butt,
I use it and haven't had a problem with my 5 chicks. There is a lot of info
here on BYC about it.

Apple Cider Vinegar>raw>unpasteurized>unfiltered>with the Mother

I buy the Heinz brand from Walmart

Hi there,

My chicks are only a few days old....I've read about pasty butt so while cleaning their litter today I inspected each one. All the chicks looked healthy and clear except one. So I got some warm water and rinsed her off and cleared away any dry poop. But hers does not look like the others. He butt seems to be swollen looking and even after I washed her up she's pecking at it.
hmm.png

Is there anything else I can do or should be doing?
Yes,wash and dry chicks bottom(you can use a blow dryer on low setting to dry,chicks love the heat). Then apply a bit of vaseline to their bottom around vent. This prevents poop from sticking to them. Monitor her for pecking at her bottom,will cause more issues.

Back
Top Bottom