Pasty Butt Hen? Not emergency

Wyndsong

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Tyler TX
IMG_20210626_185607.jpg
is this pasty but or just a dirty butt? Year old leghorn hen. We just let them out of the pen first time today and saw her butt looked funny. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about or normal and we're just worried cuz we don't know any better. LOL. Calm this new mother hen down please. LOL. Thanks!

The pic looks like it's drawn. Pls take a more clear pic then we will go from there.
I cropped it out of a video. They won't let us get that close. Here's the original picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210626-183309.png
    Screenshot_20210626-183309.png
    1,005 KB · Views: 8
I would clean up the vent area with a shallow warm soapy water bath. A bucket or a dishpan is good for that. Once her bottom is clean, and you can trim off any solids or excess feathers, dry her and take another clear picture. Many hens get runny droppings during hot weather, from reproduction infections, or a fungal infection (vent gleet.) Does she smell bad or have reddened bald skin around her vent? In hot weather when flies are around, a poopy vent can attract flies which lay maggot eggs. That can lead to flystrike, a dangerous condition. Make sure that she is eating a balanced chicken feed and probiotics can help. Plain greek yogurt or a little buttermilk can be mixed into some feed. If vent gleet is suspected, nustock horse cream, miconazole or clotrimazole creams can be applied to her vent.

I would clean up the vent area with a shallow warm soapy water bath. A bucket or a dishpan is good for that. Once her bottom is clean, and you can trim off any solids or excess feathers, dry her and take another clear picture. Many hens get runny droppings during hot weather, from reproduction infections, or a fungal infection (vent gleet.) Does she smell bad or have reddened bald skin around her vent? In hot weather when flies are around, a poopy vent can attract flies which lay maggot eggs. That can lead to flystrike, a dangerous condition. Make sure that she is eating a balanced chicken feed and probiotics can help. Plain greek yogurt or a little buttermilk can be mixed into some feed. If vent gleet is suspected, nustock horse cream, miconazole or clotrimazole creams can be applied to her vent.
We haven't picked her up yet. We'll get her and wash her up and check her hind in. Thanks for these suggestions?!

I got her bum mostly cleaned up, cut off some of the solids that I could get to. Her vent is a little pink, but doesn’t really look red. Her poop is a bit runny too. No smell though. I’m adding some electrolytes and probiotics to her water, both of their water actually. I’ll get some Greek yogurt to add to her feed too. It was pretty hard to catch her so I didn’t get any pictures. Hopefully this all will help her.

Back
Top Bottom