Pasty butt please help

Sclark0012

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
I have a chick with pasty butt. 6 days old. Ive been busy today so i havent been able check on the chicks until just now and found chick very lethargic. Definitely pasty butt, got it cleaned up. She is drying now. Im so worried, chick is not standing well, losing balance and keeping eyes closed. Her vent is protruding and blood is present. Im so scared for this baby ive been crying so much. Please help me save her..

Did you soak her pasty butt, then soap it gently to soften the plug? After it softens it should fall away or kind of crumble away. After drying with a soft cloth I applied a little neosporin. So sorry, it's hard when they're hurting.

I have a chick with pasty butt. 6 days old. Ive been busy today so i havent been able check on the chicks until just now and found chick very lethargic. Definitely pasty butt, got it cleaned up. She is drying now. Im so worried, chick is not standing well, losing balance and keeping eyes closed. Her vent is protruding and blood is present. Im so scared for this baby ive been crying so much. Please help me save her..
I replied in separate post.....should have replied to this directly.

I will give a chick that is lethargic with a known ailment some quick chick or surgery water via syringe. Just let water gently touch beak and they chug it down drip at a time. This can give them a kick start. I have 50/50 success with lethargic chicks doing this.

Did you soak her pasty butt, then soap it gently to soften the plug? After it softens it should fall away or kind of crumble away. After drying with a soft cloth I applied a little neosporin. So sorry, it's hard when they're hurting.
She is doing better. I did soak her in warm water until i got it off with a qtip. Shes still very tired right now. Ive just been holding her talking to her. Shes all dry now, walking better. Ill need to get neosporin tomorrow. She's just so sweet (i say she, but in reality i have no idea boy or girl). Thank you for your help. Ill still be worried until shes back to normal. I just hope I got to her in time.

I will give a chick that is lethargic with a known ailment some quick chick or surgery water via syringe. Just let water gently touch beak and they chug it down drip at a time. This can give them a kick start. I have 50/50 success with lethargic chicks doing this.
Thank you. I have electrolytes in their water now. I caught her cleaning herself just now. Shes already doing 50% better than she was. Ill be keeping an eye on her tonight. It hurts to see them hurting :hit

I am happy your little one made it. I just lost one of mine because I caught it too late. I didn't even know about this condition. I have checks for almost twelve years and never had this before. I cleaned her up she pooped but it was too late, bummer. I just learned something new..:(

Im sorry to hear that! My little one lost her fight, unfortunately. Took a turn for the worst in a few hours time, and past away. It's so heartbreaking! It was pretty hard on my 6 year old. He visits her grave often... 💔

Back
Top Bottom