Pasty butt?

Alexisnoelle16

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2019
Hi friends!! I bought chicks yesterday and I am having some trouble with my little chickie. I’m not sure if this is pasty butt or if this is some other issue? Help!

Attachments

• 56999B7D-02EF-4E2F-A334-189DAB91DDA5.jpeg
    56999B7D-02EF-4E2F-A334-189DAB91DDA5.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 29
It does look to be ... Clean with Qtip or soft cloth & warm water, kind of soak it first to soften then remove cautiously. Once cleaned you could put some coconut oil or even vaseline so the poop don't stick it's down.

It's probably from stress, what's the temp in your brooder? What are you feeding? I add ACV (unfiltered) to their water for the first week, then ferment their crumbles. Works for me but everyone has their own care method.

It does look to be ... Clean with Qtip or soft cloth & warm water, kind of soak it first to soften then remove cautiously. Once cleaned you could put some coconut oil or even vaseline so the poop don't stick it's down.

It's probably from stress, what's the temp in your brooder? What are you feeding? I add ACV (unfiltered) to their water for the first week, then ferment their crumbles. Works for me but everyone has their own care method.
The temp is right at 95. They have water with electrolytes and vitamins and I’m feeding them “country road chick starter-grower Medicated” I cleanse with soft cloth and warm water. I also put Vaseline on the vent. Here is the after picture. The vent seems to be protruding and has some blood look to it

Attachments

• 7472275B-971B-4426-9C7B-D508160EDA83.jpeg
    7472275B-971B-4426-9C7B-D508160EDA83.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 26
The temp is right at 95. They have water with electrolytes and vitamins and I’m feeding them “country road chick starter-grower Medicated” I cleanse with soft cloth and warm water. I also put Vaseline on the vent. Here is the after picture. The vent seems to be protruding and has some blood look to it
This is also my only chick that has been tweeting non stop as if in pain ☹️

Lower the temp by 5* every week until it's at 80* Could we get a pic of your brooder set up? Are you using heat light/lamp? It should be off to one side, allowing them to get away from it if they get to warm.

Keep up with the cleaning & vaseline. You could also add water to their food, making a mash/oatmeal consistency. Keep an eye that the rest don't peck on it's butt (red), if they do get some Blu Kote to camouflage the red. Is that one drinking water?

Here is the brooder. I am using a heat bulb and clamp lamp. I can’t say I’ve noticed if the chick is or is not drinking water.

Attachments

• BE67D0B6-F183-422C-A4ED-B9B0A48535CB.jpeg
    BE67D0B6-F183-422C-A4ED-B9B0A48535CB.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm thinking you may have too much heat ... Suggest you shine the heat lamp to one side of the bin, giving them the option to move to the opposite site when they get too warm. Put their food/water off to one side & the opposite clear, lamp shining one end. The bin is plastic so it tend to retain the heat, do you have a thermometer you can check the temp in there with? Where are you located?

Chicks grow alot faster than we expect, if you could get an appliance box it would work great & give them more room. Over crowding can also be an issue. About adding the Probiotic, you're already giving them electrolytes & vitamins, that should be fine. Readjust the heat and look into gettin a bigger box soon.

I use a clear plastic bin (34 5/8 L x 18 3/4 W x 12 5/8 H) with a MHP when I first get chicks. Keep them in the house for observation for a couple weeks, then they move out to the brooder (3' W x 8' L x 2' H) in the patio with the MHP. Blooie has a thread about MHP = heating pad ... I converted to it after using a 40 - 60 watt light bulb in a clamp, so much easier and the chicks do alot better in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom