Pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amystours, Feb 27, 2008.

1. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    Okay, I'll admit it...I'm a lurker! Been lurking for a few weeks, reading, reading, and more reading. I finally registered the other day, and I have my first question for y'all!

I got some assorted chicks a few weeks ago, everybody is doing great (I did lose one, the same day I got them), but I've had a couple of incidents of pasty butt. I get them cleaned up and everything, and the fellow at the feed store said to put a few grains of oatmeal in with their chick crumbles, for added fiber.

I'm not having too much trouble, but I have a little silkie who just can't shake this...how long can I expect it to last before s/he "grows out of it"?

2. Royal Blue

Royal Blue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Where my better half is
    Hi, My experience is to just keep the chicks clean. You may have to clip some fuzz from the behind, be carefull. The'll grow out of it quickly. I've never had it stay around for more than a few days at most. I don't know if the diet makes any difference, except that they need to get use to eating food.

3. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    a little baby powder on the bum can help also -- it keeps poo from sticking - fuzzy butts are hard to keep clean

4. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    Awww...baby powder!! lol I will try anything I can to get rid of this..it seems better than it was, so maybe it is going away.

Thanks, y'all!

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I found it to be a worse problem with silkies myself. I don't know if that is typical though, or just my experience.

They do grow out of it - just be sure to check every day or two and make sure the vent is not blocked.

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I have one cochin girl that gets the worst of poopie butts. I finally trimmed her tail feathers and she looks a lot better and seems happier. She didn't fuss at all while I was trimming her.

Jacie

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you add a tsp or two of organic unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar to a quart waterer, that seems to help the pasty butts. I have rarely had problems with it, but when I do, I add the ACV immediately.

8. John01

John01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Anyone have any pictures of actual pasty butt. I can't determine if mine just have dirty fuzz in the area of the butt and if thats normal or if its actual pasty butt.

John

9. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I am currently having this issue with my full grown silkies. I emailed the online chicken Dr. Peter Brown and he told me to put 1/2 t. copper sulfate to a gallon water. Today is my first day. I will try to let you know how that goes too.

I like the sound of the apple cider vinigar too. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

John, pasty butt will actually block them up so they cannot poop. It isn't just a little poop in their fluff, but a buildup of poop that must be removed or they will die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by