Pasty Butt

I was just going to post the same question about poopy butt. My lone guinea chick has it now. Its 5 days old. I just cleaned him off, and it looks kinda raw. Is a little antibiotic ointment called for? Or should I just keep it clean..seems it would be sore. I will put a little molasses in his water now, its all I have on hand. Any other suggestions? Thanks, I am new here also and just love this forum. Seems I have been reading for days and keep learning more stuff!

I have learned a lot already. I am amazed. Who knew? Poopy Butt. Mine seem better, but I am still not sure about it. I am not sure what a chicken butt is supposed to look like, so that could be part of the problem. I assume that their bottoms can have a bit of poo on them since they poo a lot anyway. A couple of them seem to have a bit of poo on their fluff, and I am trying not to worry over them. I hate to rub their bums too much, so I am just watching closely. I can say that the boiled egg is a big hit for them. I read where the babies just don't have the good bacteria in their bellies that they would have if their mom was taking care of them. It makes sense then to get some probiotic into them. I gave them a teaspoon of plain yogurt with their egg this morning, and they did not clean that up very well. They clean the boiled egg up really quickly. Yummo! I have been giving them a 1/2 an egg in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I will probably up that pretty soon. There are 14 of them, and they will be a week old on Monday. They have all the chick starter that they want, too. I put apple cider vinegar in their water this morning, too. Someone suggested molasses. The chick starter I am using actually smells like it has molasses in it--not for sure about that. I have them on sand in a tub, and they seem to be getting along pretty well, so I am hopeful that the pasty butt will be better soon. The worst case is better this evening, and the lesser case seems ok, too. Goodness! My farmer men think I have gone soft in the head over my chicks. They don't fuss over new hatches and let nature take its course, but I just couldn't let them die. I lost one already, and it broke my heart. Try some of these suggestions that the others have written and hope for the best. I try not to rub the baby's hiney and just hold him/ her under a stream of warm water in the bathroom sink. He really doesn't seem to mind.

Back
Top Bottom