Pasty white green chicken poop

she passed some gunk and it looked like a big piece of hominy corn. I do not feed corn so I think, maybe she had some issues in her reproductive egg making system?

I probably gave the Corid too much or too long of a period.
She's so sweet!

I'm glad to hear she's doing better!

Interesting about the piece of something like Hominy corn you found, did you take a photo? What did it feel like, rubbery?
To me with that description it sounds like some lash material which is Salpingitis, an inflammation of the oviduct. If you gave Tylan, that may have helped with the infection, but she may have more to expel as time goes by. Do you notice any lump or swelling on that right side along her abdomen?

Corid for a long period of time *could* have made her deficient in B1(Thiamine).
Since her leg is paralyzed, I'd start her on B-Complex. Give her 1/4 tablet daily. This will replace B1(Thiamine) if she's deficient and also give her B2(Riboflavin) which is often used for leg support. Just pop the piece of tablet into her beak and let her swallow.

Nope. I won't laugh about the therapy! It's great that you are working with her. Some have found that massage of the joints/legs can help birds that are struggling with mobility. People make slings for them to sit in, which holds their weight but they can move their legs/push up. There are chicken wheelchairs. I've even seen some order custom 3D printed prosthetics to help birds move about when one has lost a foot due to frostbite.
Keep up the therapy and see how much progress she can make. Keep me posted, I do appreciate the update.

I know I've seen smaller bits of lash material in threads, but I can't the ones I'm thinking about, should have bookmarked them with the 1000s of others I have saved 😝 Anyway, these will give you an idea whether or not what she passed might be lash material, it can be yellow to white, but more commonly yellowish.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rubbery-bits-in-poop-sick-chicken-lash-egg.1600984/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-chicken-week-3-now-diarrhea.1289512/post-20914138

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Dang…
I should have taken a picture but it looks just like the smaller lash egg pictures in the links you provided. Kinda makes sense too, that she was very sick (I was giving her Corid and Tylan200), and she recovered after she passed a yellowish substance the size of your thumb nail.

And even more….I heard her go crazy with a loud and proud “hen song” yesterday so I scooped her out of her garage crate and took her to the nesting area in the chicken coop thinking she was trying to lay an egg. I let her be and went back 20mins later, no egg but a clear gelatinous goo was on the coop floor.

She has never laid an egg, she is only 6months old. I have 3-6month old hens that just started laying so she is right in target with them.

Hmmm…well…the pictures and descriptions are dead on- it has to be salpingitis. From the research I read, nothing really one can do and they continue to have internal problems and eventually pass on their own.?.?…I mean she looks perfectly normal and spunky as of now- or at least until she begins to make another egg.?.

It does sound like she has Salpingitis.
Hard to know, she may be able to lay eggs too. Or she may just expel more lash material. Hate to say it but time will tell.

If she's spunky and normal now, that's good. Once she starts to look like she's feeling droopy, you can try give another round of antibiotics to see what happens. The Tylan I think may have helped. Amoxicillin is another abx you can try too, but I wouldn't dose her unless she starts to feel bad again.

Reproductive issues are just the pits, they really are. Very frustrating and heartbreaking.

@Wyorp Rock

Wanted to update you with some great news.

My Speckled Sussex infection is better with normal eat/drinking and normal poop. I have integrated her back into the coop and this has been trial and error for sure- man chickens are absolutely cruel to the weak. She still has an observable limp and they attacked her like hyenas on a dead carcass- I had to fend them off numerous times. There are some she will stand up too and some she cowers to- I don’t understand those dynamics tbh. Pecking order…hell, she just wants to be left alone. She has most definitely improved her escape and evade skills for now she flys up to high perches to get away.

I really think it was salpingitis, and wonder if she will ever lay an egg? Her litter mates are all laying eggs now.

Anyway…I wanted to thank you for your knowledge, time and words of support. You are very kind to help newbies out.

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg
IMG_1476.jpeg
IMG_1436.jpeg

What a nice space you have for your ladies! Plenty of room and thankfully places for your lady to get up and away from the others.
She looks great! It's hard to know if she will resume laying normally. Salpingitis can cause some thickening of the walls of the oviduct/reproductive system, but you never know. You may have caught this early and she won't have issues for a long time to come. Sadly, it does seem that at some point, a hen will have problems again.

I have to smile/smirk and even chuckle just a bit of your brilliant description of flock behavior - it's dead on. Yes, she does want to be left alone, but she also wants to be included, it's an odd thing to watch (and sometimes heartbreaking too).
If she's standing up to some, but submitting to others, then she's not likely the lowest hen there. Dynamics and pecking order can be subtle and change a bit too, it's interesting to watch, but it takes a lot of observation to somewhat understand the ebb and flow of it all.
Survival of the fittest.

All of your ladies look lovely. I'm happy to help any way I can.
I often learn a lot from newbies - chickening is a lifetime of learning.

man chickens are absolutely cruel to the weak. She still has an observable limp and they attacked her like hyenas on a dead carcass- I had to fend them off numerous times. There are some she will stand up too and some she cowers to- I don’t understand those dynamics tbh. Pecking order…hell, she just wants to be left alone. She has most definitely improved her escape and evade skills for now she flys up to high perches to get away.

Back
Top Bottom