Pasty white green chicken poop

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
I have a 6month old Speckled Sussex hen that is withdrawn, lethargic and pooping pasty white dark green poop going on 6days. I have her quarantined in the garage and must hand force feed her crumble mash and water.

Started and she is on her 4th day of two pea drops of Corid in her mouth. Initially very lethargic and not moving but seems to have perked up a little after I gave her a warm bath soaking (in case of egg bound).

The white/green poop could be 1 to 10 different things, bacterial, virus, coccidiosis, New Castles, Pullorum, peritonitis, etc….

The only hen in a flock of 12 showing these symptoms.

Don’t know what else to do except to give Tylan 200 shots in chest…no vet in my area.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

IMG_1188.jpeg

Started and she is on her 4th day of two pea drops of Corid in her mouth. Initially very lethargic and not moving but seems to have perked up a little after I gave her a warm bath soaking (in case of egg bound).

Don’t know what else to do except to give Tylan 200 shots in chest…no vet in my area.
Do you have photos of her?

When was her last egg?

Can you take a sample of her poop to your vet for testing to see if worms are part of the problem?

Pea drops of Corid? Undiluted Corid liquid oral drench is .10ml per pound of weight given orally 2X a day for 3 days.
This is in addition to her drinking mixed Corid water during the day at a rate of 2tsp Liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 day.
When giving Corid, don't give Extra supplements/vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

If she's not laid an egg and should have, I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet daily for 3 days to see if that makes a difference.

Tylan is generally used to treat symptoms of respiratory illness, but may be helpful for other infections.
I would not give it as injection since it's given 3 times a day for 5 days, that's 15 needle sticks and the drug is known for injection site necrosis.
Give the Injectable Tylan200 orally instead.
To treat respiratory infection the typical dose of Tylan200 is 0.05ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

Thank you very much…I promise that I have searched and researched the shat out of this….you post here seems to explain it better. No vet options here.

I have been giving 1-2 syringe drops in her mouth which is close to .10ml. I need to give more since that is suppose to be per pound. So I think she is about 4-5lbs so I need to be giving .40-.50ml 2x day. Maybe this is why she has kinda gotten better- moving more and not as fluffed out.

She is 5months old and never laid an egg. Last pic is her in a make shift soaker of warm water and Epsom salt. It is a big piece of Tupperware with a cardboard top. It actually worked pretty well and she did not revel at all, she looked as if she was enjoying it.

IMG_1154.jpeg IMG_1153.jpeg IMG_1174.jpeg

@Wyorp Rock
Again…thanks so much for replying.

Last edited:
She’s went from laying down, head in chest fully ruffled/shaking to pecking around some. She is not going to the feeder too eat, only what is sprinkled around her. Every now and then she will get up and drink water.

Other than that, I open her mouth and place watered down mash in her beak. I thought yogurt was a good probiotic but have read that chickens do not have the correct enzyme for dairy products and giving yogurt is counterproductive…? I also open her beak and give her water. I am very careful not to cause aspiration- I have done this at least 20x so I think we have it down pat and I think she is enjoying it.

Her poop has went from white pasty diarrhea- light green diarrhea- dark green diarrhea- white pasty diarrhea with green solid in the middle and not having a good form poo but still green in color. Starting to see some dark brown cecal poop in last couple of days. No bloody diarrhea at all or anything other than white paste and three different shades of green.

I will up the dosage of Corid and see how that goes and also start adding oral Tylan200.

Calcium Citrate- I will go to Walgreens and get some of this.

She’s went from laying down, head in chest fully ruffled/shaking to pecking around some. She is not going to the feeder too eat, only what is sprinkled around her. Every now and then she will get up and drink water.

Other than that, I open her mouth and place watered down mash in her beak. I thought yogurt was a good probiotic but have read that chickens do not have the correct enzyme for dairy products and giving yogurt is counterproductive…? I also open her beak and give her water. I am very careful not to cause aspiration- I have done this at least 20x so I think we have it down pat and I think she is enjoying it.

Her poop has went from white pasty diarrhea- light green diarrhea- dark green diarrhea- white pasty diarrhea with green solid in the middle and not having a good form poo but still green in color. Starting to see some dark brown cecal poop in last couple of days. No bloody diarrhea at all or anything other than white paste and three different shades of green.

I will up the dosage of Corid and see how that goes and also start adding oral Tylan200.

Calcium Citrate- I will go to Walgreens and get some of this.
Give her mixed Corid water too, not plain water.
The white is urates and if there's a lot, then she's not drinking very well, keep syringing th mixed Corid water into her or encourage her to drink.
Green poop often is bile from not eating much, so hopefully that will improve as she begins to eat more.
You can stir about 1Tablespoon yogurt into her feed if you wish, it is a good probiotic. Chickens can tolerate a small amount of dairy, too much seems to run through them.

If she's not laying eggs yet, then she doesn't have to have the Extra Calcium, but if you got it, no worries, you'll use it in the future - it's something very good to have on hand to help a hen in crisis, especially if she's having trouble with an egg.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

She's a lovely little girl, I have 1 SS and she's been a very sweet hen, it's a breed I would have again for sure. Of course, my favorites are Barred Rocks and Dominiques, but I've enjoyed several different breeds over the years.

@Wyorp Rock

I increased oral intake Corid today.

Just got Safeguard this morning- gave a pea size dallop per oral today.

At least now there is no longer diarrhea, the poop is formed but still dark green with a white cap.

I am thankful the weekend is approaching…I will keep you updated.

Thanks for your input.

Just got Safeguard this morning- gave a pea size dallop per oral today.
Having formed poop is hopeful!

There you go with those pea size dollops again! :old😅

Fenbendazole is dosed by weight. So, with you saying you gave pea size dollop, I assume you have Safeguard Equine Paste like in the photo below?

If you do, the dose for Safeguard 10% is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms Only.
If you want to treat most worms that chickens can have except for Tapeworms, then give once daily for 5 days in a row, no repeat.

Tapeworms require treatment with Praziquantel.

1703217064273.png

@Wyorp Rock

Some good news…some bad news.

Good news- I believe she is back to normal. A couple days ago, after a warm soaking bath, she passed some gunk and it looked like a big piece of hominy corn. I do not feed corn so I think, maybe she had some issues in her reproductive egg making system? No more green/white diarrhea. She is very energetic, talkative and raring to go.

Bad news- Her right leg is somewhat paralyzed and she is unable to walk normally. I probably gave the Corid too much or too long of a period. She was sick with the lethargy and green poop for a pretty good while.

I am an Occupational Therapist by trade and know hand/shoulder therapy. Don’t laugh…but I’ve been doing therapy on her paralyzed right leg and it’s getting better. The leg is no longer drawn up into her belly. She is actually extending it and putting some weight through it.

Fingers crossed.
IMG_1415.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom