2 hens - slow crop, green poop, lethargic - where to start?

cityeggs

Songster
Oct 25, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I have a flock of 5 hens - 2x 2yo, and 3x just 1 yo. 2 of the hens seem lethargic and not well; I checked everyone's crop yesterday morning and these 2 had not emptied overnight, though they were not hard, just not completely empty (and they didn't start particularly full the night before). Both of them have shown green poop over the last few days. Under the roost, RSL had almost complete water (with small amount of urates) below her roost, the other (Ameraucana) looser droppings, but not quite as liquid, and some solids; and since Friday, her poop has looked a little less green - slightly more normal? it's hard to tell without following her around to see who drops what.

They've both had some somewhat stressful events in the last few weeks - including running out of free-choice calcium for a day or two more than once recently. Ameraucana has been molting for maybe 2 weeks; she was initially laying eggs through the molt, but I haven't seen an egg from her for at least 4 days, and at least one of her recent eggs had broken and got eaten, so I'm pretty sure it was thin-shelled (so far, I don't have repeat egg-eaters; just when an egg breaks, and usually that's from it being thin-shelled to start with). RSL has had at least 1 shell-less egg (Fri PM), and someone had second one in the previous few days (I have no idea who or exactly when - the dry membrane was off in a corner that I didn't see until weekend clean-out, but my guess is one of the two of them). Initial worry was that the Ameraucana might have egg peritonitis or egg bound? due to posture, extreme lethargy, and the only poop something lash-y looking, but I checked internally, and I've seen her poop since then - no other symptoms seem to point this way.

With the low calcium and egg shell situation, I gave them both 600mg calcium citrate for 2 days. Because neither was eating much, I also gave them some mash for 2 days. Ameraucana seems to be better than she was on Friday - scratching, got up on the roost last night. RSL seems to be worse; she was normal activity level on Fri, except for the shell-less egg Fri PM, but has been pretty lethargic the last 2 days.

Combs are still red, eyes clear, noses clear, nothing else I can think of?

They have never been wormed. I have de-wormer on hand, as well as Corrid. Would you start with both de-worming everyone and treating with Corrid at the same time to cover all bases, esp. since two of them are acting sick? Or something else I've missed? Continue giving mash to make sure they're eating something??

Last edited:
Green diarrhea is often an indicator of Marek's in the absence of a lot of greens in their diet. If that is the case, then I am sorry as there is really no treatment, birds who survive the initial infection often pass later from tumors. I am by no means an expert though, and I hope someone has advice for you.
It couldn't hurt to continue some TLC, keep them fed and hydrated.

Green poop to me is bile from not eating enough food. It would be hard to diagnose what illness is causing it, since many things cause a decrease in appetite. Crop disorders, reproductive issues, and other diseases or inactivity can lead to green droppings.
You can ask your local vet if they will do a fecal float on some fresh droppings collected overnight, to look for worms and coccidiosis, or other parasites. Price can vary, but saves money on unneeded medications. Many people find that worming may be cheaper, but using a wormer such as Valbazen or SafeGuard which can treat most types of worms in chickens, are best. Let us know if you need dosage and frequency.

Back
Top Bottom