Lethargic hen with runny, yellow-green poop

human1

hUMAN
Nov 13, 2020
USA
My 3.5 year old RSL has been acting lethargic since two days ago. She didn’t want to forage much, just stood or sat down when we let them out. Sometimes she puffed her feathers out a little bit.

This morning she hadn’t come down from the roost when our other hen had. I saw her have a runny poop that was not normally colored. she had that poop at least a few times prior to today.

I won’t be home until six hours from now. Is there anything I can do then to help her out?

Attachments

• CE588125-3D02-4E0D-83D9-38BBA8F571FD.jpeg
    CE588125-3D02-4E0D-83D9-38BBA8F571FD.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 7D52DF24-D8D4-47CA-841C-9BCFFC70EA67.jpeg
    7D52DF24-D8D4-47CA-841C-9BCFFC70EA67.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 7
  • A9265C3F-95A2-462C-AED3-43020FC81CC5.jpeg
    A9265C3F-95A2-462C-AED3-43020FC81CC5.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 7
The poop could be due to a reproductive infection or disorder. Has she been laying eggs recently? Have you seen any shell-less eggs recently? I would feel of her lower belly under the vent for any enlargement, and for any weight loss. Check her crop in the early mornings to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Offer some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg. If you have access to any antibiotics they might help if she has an infection.

The poop could be due to a reproductive infection or disorder. Has she been laying eggs recently? Have you seen any shell-less eggs recently? I would feel of her lower belly under the vent for any enlargement, and for any weight loss. Check her crop in the early mornings to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Offer some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg. If you have access to any antibiotics they might help if she has an infection.
Thank you for the advice!

She hasn’t laid for the past couple of days but she laid an egg today.

I remember there being a shell-less egg maybe around one month ago. Also, there was one egg that was so thin that we accidentally broke it when taking it in. That egg looked off when we put it in a bowl because the whites formed a circle around the yolk. Last week there was an egg that was broken in the nest box, so that one might have been fragile too.

I felt both of our chickens’ lower belly but wasn’t able to tell if hers was enlarged. She ate the moistened feed I gave them, but I don’t think she’s been eating as much as our other hen, and right now her crop looks full. I will check her crop again tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom