Yellow poop disease?

GordSord

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2022
I want to know what's causing this. I've now had 2 hens die in 5 months. They are my loving pets and it kills me that I don't even know what did them in. I also want to know so I can help if it happens again.

I got these hens at beginning of 2021. With both of them it started with yellow poop. It looked just like normal poop, sometimes water, most of the time solid. BUT it was mustard yellow. Especially the urate deposits. It was almost the color of egg yolk.

Both just slowly ate less, liked to stand in the corner with eyes closed, and floofed up. Their combs slowly shrank and went pale. My first hen lasted about 3 weeks. The last hen lasted about 5 weeks. She passed away in my arms tonight.

The first hen I gave dewormer, and electrolytes for treatment. And warm water soaks in case it was a stuck egg. It didn't help at all.

The second hen I tried dewormer, electrolytes, warm soaks, and liquid corrid in the water. She seemed better some days, eating greens and dried mealworms. Other days she barley wanted to move. I knew it was bad when she stopped eating mush (crumbles and water). She used to love it. She quit eating it about a week before she passed. She had finally started laying eggs again after their winter break. But as soon as she started pooping that mustard yellow, she quit laying.

I just want to know if there's anything else I can do that I didn't think of.

Can anyone help?

Back
Top Bottom