pastybutt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purr, May 13, 2008.

1. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    HI ,

First time posting ever anywhere , anyway my new babies arrived last sunday

27 chicks standard and Bantams. I thought they were doing really well but this

morning when i went to check on them , half of them had pastybutt. I washed

them with warm water but want to know what is causing it. Also i had them

innoculated for Marek's disease. i currently have them on non-medicated chick

crumble ,should i switch to medicated .

Thanks

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

First [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not real sure [​IMG] why it happens, I think its just their systems "getting" going, like a newborn baby. Don't really think that they medicated feed will make the situation any better...[​IMG]

Anyhow you just got bumped so maybe someone who knows a little more will respond...

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Hi,

thank you for the welcome . The chicks seem better this morning i saw another

thread about pastybutt and they said they put veggie oil on their bums, i guess

i'll try that if it happens again. DH is going to make them a bigger brooder this

weekend to make them more comfy. He said the one they have is fine but they

are growing so fast and trying to jump and fly. And they have won him over , he

keeps saying how darn cute they are.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Welcome! The veggie oil needs to go on as you take them out of the shipping box. It doesn't stop the cause of pasty poo-butt, it keeps it from sticking like rock-hard glue.

According to everything I've read, picky vent blockage is caused mostly by the stress and chilling that occurs during shipment. Also, some are convinced that feeding soy based feed too early to new chicks exacerbates the problem.

So get them warm right away under a red heat lamp, leave them alone in a darkened corner to sleep and recuperate from their shipping ordeal and feed them nothing for 72 hours after hatching. I only give them fresh water with a dab of molasses or Gatorade in it. Once they begin feeding, I stop these supplements in the water.

Then avoid soya feed for a few days when you do start to feed them. Instead give them finely chopped oatmeal or cornbread crumbles and some chopped hard boiled egg.

I do this to all my hatchlings and havent had much worry over pasty butt.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by