1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Patches had her piglets!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Skyesrocket, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    My 4 year old miniature mulefoot had 8 piglets born yesterday! (Leap Year) She is such a good momma. She is really calm and let me sit with the babies while she was eating. When she was finished she layed down next to them and nursed. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    I didn't know there was such thing as a mini-mulefoot!! SO cool!! So how big is she? How big are those piggies? They look really little!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    They are adorable! Congratulations! [​IMG]

4. Skyesrocket

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks. I didn't know there were miniature mulefoots until I saw her. Patches is small. Not sure about height but she weighs about 35 pounds.
    Her litter is a mix of mulefoot and painted miniature's. The dad is small too about the same size as Patches maybe a little smaller than her.
    Mulefoots are black pigs with some white on the feet or forehead. She had 2 blacks with white feet. They have a solid hoof in front instead of it being split into two toes. Half of her litter has the solid hoof.
    Six of them are spotted. And one or two have a reddish cast to them. That comes from dad.
    All 8 of them made it through the night last night. I worry about mom laying on them but maybe because she is smaller I won't run into that problem. That sure is a lot of babies to keep track of though!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Awwwwwie!! :D

6. she is lucky! i doubt it was too hard for her to give birth to those little things :)
    btw- SUPER CUTE!![​IMG]

7. Skyesrocket

Mar 20, 2008
    I was suprised by how tiny and how many there were! Yesterday it was cold out and you couldn't even see her in the stall. She covered the babies and herself up with straw.
    It's warm today...for Ohio ...and those tiny things are running all over the stall. Lol...another day I won't get much done because I'll be piggy watching. [​IMG]

8. Seriously? I never heard of a mule-footed pig --- that's cool!
    The piglets are adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by