Patiently waiting but a little worried

Five now altogether. Im not expecting the other two to hatch as no movement.

One of the babies is weak and for some reason, not drying, his down is hard and crusty. Any tips?

Wow day 34 and you ended up with 5 keets!?! That's amazing after day 32 I wasn't holding out much hope...
hide.gif

The little keet that wouldn't dry sounds like it was what some call a sticky keet (probably from slow development, due to the low temp), but if it didn't fluff up in the incubator from all the other keets climbing all over it you can gently fluff it and kind of scrub/flake off the layer of dried sticky egg with an old (but clean) soft tooth brush.

I see you posted quite a while ago (sorry I haven't had time to get online much), but if it's still alive and hanging in there I'd make sure it's drinking some water with vitamins and electrolytes mixed in (you may need to frequently quickly dip it's beak in the water a few times to get it to take a few swallows) and you can try crumbling up some hard boiled egg yolk for it to eat (in addition to the high protein starter feed). Some people swear by sugar water for an energy boost, but IME that gives keets pasty but, so that's up to you. Looks like a few of the keets hatched with bloody navels (that's usually from incorrect temp), and I see a lot of blood on the floor of the incubator... so the weak keet may have lost more blood than the others. It may need a day or more of some extra TLC and be fine, but be prepared that it might not make it.

Anyway, congrats again, I'm glad you got some keets after that long of a wait. Hope you get that temp calibrated!

Thanks. Unfortunately our stick keet died last night. But still got 4 little ones to tend to.
Ordered thermometers so should be arriving any day now so I can check the temperature.

Thanks for all your advice

Three are very strong. But I've noticed our little white friend seems to be satrgazing and then flips onto his back. Worried he may be braindamaged from the low temp.

I've lost a falcon to stargazing not sure why he started doing it but it did him in. I've never heard of poultry stargazing though.

Back
Top Bottom