Patsy Butt Mishap

Tally Ho

Hatching
Mar 22, 2024
Our 8 OEG Bantam chicks were all Patsy Butt when they arrived via mail from Chickens from Backyards. We bought 6 they sent 8 as backup. We accidentally drown the weakest by taking our eyes off for a second while cleaning their butts in a dishpan of warm water. We were IDIOTS ! Now we briefly soak them one at a time in a teacup of warm water to dissolve the massive amount of buildup poop. Unfortunately, the weakest have the most manure blockage. Live and learn is hard on the chicks !

Sorry for your loss. How old are the chicks and how long were they in shipping? When cleaning vents, I only use a little warm soapy water and use fingers to rub it away, then immediately dry vents with a tissue. Pasted vents may be from chilling in transit, getting too warm in a brooder, and dehydration. Check them daily for repeated pasty butt. Providing GroGel that has water in it can be helpful in transporting chicks. It provide fluids, vitamins, and electrolytes. Many hatcheries suggest it. Offer fluids to your chicks, dipping them in water often. Use a thermometer in the brooder floor to monitor temps, so they don’t get too hot when using a heat lamp.

Sorry for your loss. How old are the chicks and how long were they in shipping? When cleaning vents, I only use a little warm soapy water and use fingers to rub it away, then immediately dry vents with a tissue. Pasted vents may be from chilling in transit, getting too warm in a brooder, and dehydration. Check them daily for repeated pasty butt. Providing GroGel that has water in it can be helpful in transporting chicks. It provide fluids, vitamins, and electrolytes. Many hatcheries suggest it. Offer fluids to your chicks, dipping them in water often. Use a thermometer in the brooder floor to monitor temps, so they don’t get too hot when using a heat lamp.
Thanks " Eggcessive" . U have helped a LOT ! Gro Gel came with the chicks. In our ignorance, we tossed it out. We foolishly tried to moisten all the chicks' butts at once and in an instant drown the weakest. Good idea to dry them afterward. Doing fine now. Happy Easter, Friend.

Our 8 OEG Bantam chicks were all Patsy Butt when they arrived via mail from Chickens from Backyards. We bought 6 they sent 8 as backup. We accidentally drown the weakest by taking our eyes off for a second while cleaning their butts in a dishpan of warm water. We were IDIOTS ! Now we briefly soak them one at a time in a teacup of warm water to dissolve the massive amount of buildup poop. Unfortunately, the weakest have the most manure blockage. Live and learn is hard on the chicks !
I use a (warm) wet Q-tip for cleaning my birds, then if it happens again when they're older I use wet wipes. (wet wipes can clean just about anything) ((don't get bleach/any toxic wipes))

Back
Top Bottom