Paving Sand??? Is it OK?

tedabug

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I just bought 10 bags of paving sand to line the chicken coop and run. Is there any contraindications to doing this? I don't think it's been treated, but I'll check the bags first. Any one else use paving sand??

I'm not sure what "paving" sand it...just sand to be packed into a base when paving??? Then it shouldn't be too different from landscaping sand...
Is is coarse or fine? Coarse should drain better... If it doesn't mention anything negative on the bag, then I would think it'd be okay. But for future reference, I would check out gravel or landscaping/mulch companies next time. You can typically get sand SO much cheaper by the truckload than by the bag.

Last edited:
Yes, it's used for paving and is a slightly more coarse sand. The bag doesn't say it was treated with anything, but it does contain silica (as almost ALL sand does) which said could cause cancer if the dust is inhaled, yadda yadda. I remember the playground sandbox sand said the same thing as does actual clumping cat litter. From here on out I may use beach sand, but not sure. I didn't need much, only 6 bags so Home Depot got my $ this time. I'm excited to see if it's easier than the pine shavings to clean up. We'll find out!

Any more opinions/suggestions out there?

Back
Top Bottom