pavlovskaya?

bantamboi

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
florida
hi! i'm buying a pavlovskaya pullet off a local breeder who has greenfire farms stock and i was wondering if anyone has experience with them? what's their temperament like, any special care needs, cool stories, any and all pictures, etc.

I just bought three Pumpkin Pavlovskaya from Greenfire Farms, along with a couple of Swedish Flower Hens and a Rees Cream Legbar. They added a few extras, so I now have four of the PPs in my brooder. I know they are medium birds who lay cream to white eggs. I too would like to know more about temperament. Mine are straight run, so I'm hoping they're not all one sex. They are are seriously awesome looking!

Of course, since they sent extra, it means some downsizing in my flock. My one neighbor already seriously hates me.

I am drooling over these. They don't lay many eggs and are very rare even in Russia where they originated. I have been watching these for several years at Greenfire farms but just can't afford 99.00 per chick

I have 4 white hens from Greenfire. They are very docile and laid back. They don't mind being petted and like attention. They look so cute when they walk or run. I think they are great birds for pets and you will get some eggs, just not like you would get with a Barred Rock type bird which lay almost every day. I enjoy them. I do have to say that the white ones from GFF have legs and feet that are way too heavily feathered, like little wings, which would be a disqualification in other countriesm. For this reason I won't breed then but I am looking for any other color that has the correct leg and foot feathering. Here is a good video to show what I mean. I will see if I can post a pic of my girls legs and feet so you can see.

Front
20180301_222546.jpg
20180301_222632.jpg

Back of one leg/foot

Last edited:
I have four Pavs. Two I hatched from shipped eggs, and two I purchased as 5 and 8 week old chicks about a month ago. Thought I'd chime in so I can follow this convo since I am always trying to learn more about them. I suggest finding and joining Pav groups on Facebook, particularly if you can find one in your region. I am in some and, while I can't say there is huge participation yet, since there are not nearly as many people who own them, it is interesting to see pics posted and read what people do post.

For me, right now I am just wondering if mine are cockerels or pullets! I am pretty sure one is a hen and another is a cockerel. If I had to say today, I'd guess the other two are cockerels also . But I'm not willing to bet the farm yet...

I have been thinking about coughing up the $99 price tag for a GF pumpkin Pavlovskaya but am nervous to commit since a few of the “heritage” type breeds I’ve bought in the past have turned out to be super noisy (even the hens!) and flighty when free ranged. I had a Spitzhauben hen that was so noisy I had to sell her so my neighbors didn’t think I had a cockerel. Any idea on the noise level of Pav hens and how good they are with confinement?

I got 5 straight run chicks from chicksforcheep.com. They are so funny looking and cute! No idea what their quality is - I just got them for funsies, they were reasonably priced all things considered ($15 each). I call them "Sgt Pepper and the Fancy Pants Club Band". They do seem rather flighty ... these pics are at about a month old. I need to get some more now that they are almost 2 months old...

Attachments

• through 4.7.2019 005.jpg
    through 4.7.2019 005.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 127
  • through 4.7.2019 011.jpg
    through 4.7.2019 011.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 119

Back
Top Bottom