PDX Preditor Help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Christov777, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Christov777

Christov777 New Egg

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm new to BYC and was wondering what potential threats I might encounter here in Portland?
    My girls are a month away from going outside, so I'm trying to prepare. Is it mostly nighttime predators or are there daytime as well that I have to watch out for?

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Portland ME or OR? Off the top of my head .... dogs, fox, skunks, weasels, raccoons, hawks, dogs. Did I mention dogs?

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    PDX is the airport in Portland, Oregon. So Christov is asking about Oregon.

Owls, hawks, crows, jays, magpies, bald eagles, coyotes, stray dogs, raccoons, black bears, cougars. There are gray foxes, but they are not common. Lots and lots of homeless cats, and occasionally a cat will kill poultry.

There are coyotes right downtown in Portland. Black bears sometimes wander around in the housing areas close to town, although I haven't heard about any bears taking poultry. Bears are mostly interested in the garbage cans,. Raccoons are plentiful and wander around right in town.

There is a small but increasing problem with humans raiding veggie gardens and stealing fruit. No doubt the same folks would also steal eggs and maybe birds.

4. Christov777

Christov777 New Egg

Sep 30, 2012

I didn't know that crows and cats would attack chickens. That's interesting. I don't know much about different kinds of birds so I'll have to look up what jays and magpies are. I see the occasional possums and squirrels what about them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by