PDZ and DE - how much?

hegazi

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
MA
I am setting up our new coop and starting to fill it with bedding. It is a 12x16 shed converted to a coop. How much PDZ and DE should I use on the shavings? Just a sprinkle or a light dusting or a heavy coat?

Be careful with the DE, it's a lung irritant to both humans and birds.
I've read in many forums the food grade DE is good for putting in the coop to help keep mites off the chicks. Looks like it is time for more research - good thing I haven't put it down yet!!

I've read in many forums the food grade DE is good for putting in the coop to help keep mites off the chicks. Looks like it is time for more research - good thing I haven't put it down yet!!
There's a big debate over whether it works or not. I personally don't like what I read about how bad it is to inhale the stuff. I'd rather not deal with that. DE also kills all bugs, and that's not a good thing.

Most chickens don't have mites or lice unless there's a good reason. A good dust bath can keep them under control and at bay. If I start seeing them for reason I use a pyrethrin based poultry dust to dust the birds that need it and to dust roost cracks and nestboxes.

I also use regular barn lime if I need a drying agent on the floors. It's cheap and gets the job done.

Do you have a poopboard under the roost? Since most of the poo is concentrated under the roost, using a poopboard lined with PDZ will cut down on the amount you need to use. We sift the poo out everyday or two keeping the coop odor free. Any poo that does get on the floor gets absorbed/hidden in the pine flakes.

The only place I've used DE is a little sprinkled under the hay in the nesting boxes. We use wood ash in the dust bath mixture which helps keep mites at bay so I've actually stopped using DE.

I have a tarp hanging under the roosts so I can just unhook it and hose it down and it gives more room to roam under the roosts.

I am setting up our new coop and starting to fill it with bedding. It is a 12x16 shed converted to a coop. How much PDZ and DE should I use on the shavings? Just a sprinkle or a light dusting or a heavy coat?
I wold not use any of either in the shavings...no need really.
Might put some PDZ in the poop hammock, unless you plan on emptying it every day.

Back
Top Bottom