Pea Eggs Scheduled to Hatch?

My peahen began laying in Jan. and out of 10 eggs only one hatched. Then a few weeks later she laid 9 more so far only one has hatched- 3 have passed hatch date with nothing happening and 5 more are possible. Now I have a 6week old chick and a 1week old chick. Is it possible to put them together soon or will the older one hurt the younger? When the weather warms I hope to get my dining room back. We have 2 incubators, one with turner and one for hatching.

Just wish more would hatch. When they all get the same care it's hard to know why the hatch rate isn't better.

My peahen began laying in Jan. and out of 10 eggs only one hatched. Then a few weeks later she laid 9 more so far only one has hatched- 3 have passed hatch date with nothing happening and 5 more are possible. Now I have a 6week old chick and a 1week old chick. Is it possible to put them together soon or will the older one hurt the younger? When the weather warms I hope to get my dining room back. We have 2 incubators, one with turner and one for hatching.

Just wish more would hatch. When they all get the same care it's hard to know why the hatch rate isn't better.

You are sooooooooooooo lucky. Congrats on the hatch.

What state do you live in?

We are in South Carolina and would normally have nice warm weather by now, it is still cold in 30s at night and 50s during the day instead of normal 70s. Still having to keep a light of my 6week old since it is in a cage in an outdoor building now so I have room inside for this little one.

We are in South Carolina and would normally have nice warm weather by now, it is still cold in 30s at night and 50s during the day instead of normal 70s. Still having to keep a light of my 6week old since it is in a cage in an outdoor building now so I have room inside for this little one.

Great.

There is an updated hatching thread for 2013 if you would like to join us. We are talking about peas laying eggs, incubating and hatching. Come on over and see us and join in on the discussion.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735197/peafowl-for-2013

Great, I need all the help I can get. Really disappointing to have so many not hatch. Looking forward to learning more.

how old is your male?
What state are you located if you don't mind me asking

Speaking of Pea eggs scheduled to hatch here anyone ever construct their own incubator? I've outgrown my Brinsea and have been making plans on a newly built homemade one to incorporate a hatcher of decent size, especially to keep the different colors of chicks separated while they hatch. And to be big enough to house-incubate all my eggs this year instead of selling them. I'm thinking 60" tall,28" wide and 48' deep for starters.

Please share the secret to all the success! Wow! I have had 2 successful hatches out of 24 eggs. Now have had 2 break through about a dime size then stop. We can see breathing and hear chirping but no more pecking of the shell. One has since died. Don't mean to be a downer on all the joy, but would love to know your secrets. Trying to add a pic of my 2 hatched a month apart but get along great now.

Last edited:
Picture worked for first time. Learning!
Zazouse, my male is 3 this year. We live in SC and the weather is so strange this year I wonder if that is why the hen laid early and the male has lost his train already (2 weeks ago). I have read any eggs she lays now will not be fertile since he lost the train.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom