Pea gravel and wood chips

amk122284

Songster
May 11, 2020
Northern Indiana
We are getting ready to wrap things up for a run. I keep reading about wood chips getting moldy and mushy if they haven't been aged or what not. Would it be wise to put down a couple inches of pea gravel and then 4 or 5 inches of wood chips? Pea gravel to help with getting rain and moisture away from the wood chips? Half the run will be roofed over.

Thanks for the input!

We are getting ready to wrap things up for a run. I keep reading about wood chips getting moldy and mushy if they haven't been aged or what not. Would it be wise to put down a couple inches of pea gravel and then 4 or 5 inches of wood chips? Pea gravel to help with getting rain and moisture away from the wood chips? Half the run will be roofed over.

Thanks for the input!
I love wood chips I spot pick poop every day and then change it once a week its inexpensive like 8 bucks for a huge brick at Walmart a brick last 3 weeks for me

Attachments

• 20200529_201508.jpg
    20200529_201508.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 32
Pine shavings

Yeah pine shavings in a run 10x16 that is only half roofed is probably not going to work unfortunately it would be a mess. Inside the coop I plan to start off with the pine shavings and unless I find a huge downside to them I will continue to use the pine.

The portion that is not roofed I plan to do a few of these grazing boxes with half inch hardware cloth and then a path between them so it wont need to be all wood chips but still a lot of ground.

Attachments

• e5a05bae06226654ddaddc15ac0fa671.jpg
    e5a05bae06226654ddaddc15ac0fa671.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom