Peach Butter

tabsmonsters

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Laclede County, MO
I made some peach butter yesterday. I was in a hurry, so it didn't get real thick like I thought it should be. I used the Ball recipe and it didn't call for pectin. Should I use the pectin in the next recipe or just make sure to cook it longer? Thanks!
Tabby

Peach butter? That sounds good! I will have to look in my Ball book for the recipe. I am planning to make a variety of "butters" and give away baskets at Christmas this year along with homeade bread. I never heard of peach but will definitely look into it...

Just a note, I've made apple and pumpkin butters before and never added pectin.

Last edited:
chicksgalore,

The peach butter is simply wonderful! I have been holding myself back from opening one of the jars! The recipe called for 4 - 41/2 lbs of peaches, I didn't weigh them. I also didn't put in the full 4 cups of sugar, I just did it to taste. I also want to make apple butter and had plans to make pear butter, there just aren't enough pears on the tree.

Thanks and good luck!

That sounds really good. I never heard of peach butter. I just made peach jam this morning from my peaches off my tree. How do you make peach butter?? I still have peaches so let me know!!

Mine stayed peach colored. What I did was skinned and pitted them, then cut into quarters and cook until soft. Puree in the blender and cook that until thickened. The reciped called for 4 cups sugar for 4 - 4 1/2 lbs of peaches, but I used less than that and mine didn't thicken like its supposed to.. Put in jars and boil water bath for 10 minutes. It did scald a little on the bottom so there are a few brown pieces, but I am not gonna get upset about that! Its really good, I couldn't keep my spoon out of the pot! I think I am gonna make some more tomorrow.

Here is a pic of my peach butter and canned peaches:

DSC01100.jpg

When I make strawberry jam if I don't add the amount of sugar it calls for it stays more runny than it's supposed to be.....more like an ice cream topping instead of jam.

Back
Top Bottom