Peachick - bump before beak, crusty eye

lisabds

Hatching
Oct 15, 2021
I have 4 new peachicks and there is 1 that had trauma on its eye when we got it and have been treating it with antibiotic drops. Another, however has a bump right before its beak and its eye is turning crusty. I know its not alot to go on but does anyone have an idea of what it could be. I'm going to try to get them all to the vet today just to check them out but thought I'd try here first.

Chicks tend to peck each other especially when they run out of food and are asking to be fed. The natural response for feeding comes from the mother offering feed in her mouth so the chicks are pecking her beak where food comes from. When they do not have a mother they still have that natural tendency to peck beaks looking for food. Bright shiny objects like eyes also get pecked, that is why you will see some people putting mirrors and bells in brooders. Most likely the chicks were brooder raised and have some minor damage from pecking. Posting pictures helps greatly when needing help with a problem.

Back
Top Bottom