Peachick feather plucking itself and others

Aliwinch00

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2022
South Arkansas
Ok y'all, I'm at a complete loss and need some other perspectives on this. I have (4) 4.5 week old peachicks and all has been fine until last night. One of the peachicks was screaming and we noticed she was pulling on her own wing feathers nearly constantly. She'd grab a wing feather and scream. We could get her to stop but then she'd go right back in a few seconds. Then she started grabbing the tail feathers of a sibling and doing the same. We separated her from the rest and had no more issues. We attempted to put her back with her siblings and she started it again. As long as she was by herself up until about an hour ago, we had no issues but she started it again on herself, although not constant, but being alone now she's still doing it some. I'm concerned that she's not eating and drinking when separated, other than the few times shes attempted to grab her wing feathers, she's just sitting in the empty brooder.
My parents raised peafowl when I was growing up and my husband and I have been raising for several years. In over 30 years I have never seen a peachick do this and I'm at a loss of how to stop it or what to do. They've been raised in a brooder (never on the ground or exposed to other birds), they don't have any mites or lice, only fed starter feed (no treats or extras to lower protein of the feed).
Anyone ever experienced this? Any idea of what would cause this or ideas of how to stop it. All thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

You can put a 'bit' in her beak that will keep her from being able to pull feathers. It will need to be taken out by six weeks but usually, the habit is broken by then.
A "bit"? Haven't been able to find anything about this. Would you mind explaining? Also I have come across a "collar" similar to an inverted cone collar, like used on dogs or cats after surgery, any thoughts on this?
She seems to have calmed down a bit, being completely separated from the others, but I would like to reintegrate her back into the flock sooner rather than later, if safely possible. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom