1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peacock attack

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Karmaloo54, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    I agree that it can sometimes be the individual bird as well. My violeta pair that I've only had about six months are both much tamer than my IB male who I've had 8 years. Sometimes they tame down sometimes they don't. I don't try to be super buddy buddy with them but some of them are naturally more friendly.

2. Karmaloo54

Karmaloo54 New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    He finally did it he stalked and attacked my Granddaughter and her friend. the two hen I have are crying now I have to find another hopefully non aggressive male. Any ideas?

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Try, try again. Maybe start with a younger bird?

4. Karmaloo54

Karmaloo54 New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    Yes, I'm looking for a yearling or around two. Not having much luck finding one

5. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Where are you located? We have a few yearling roosters available. @KsKingBee is located in Marion, Ks and ships, I bet Bill has what you are looking for, we are located in Central Texas,[​IMG].

If you FB:
    KSKingbee is Bill Vinduska or look up Spring Creek Peafowl

We are: Bobs Green Peafowl

Gerald Barker

1 person likes this.
  6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    And I'm up in SE Michigan, and have at least one friend looking for a new home for a male if you're in driving distance!

Ked

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I'm in Idaho, I don't have any yearlings for sale, but I will have chicks for sale in the summer.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  8. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I have a couple of two year old cocks available as well as some really nice yearlings. NPIP and shipping available.

9. msmolly

msmolly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Gates Mills, OH
    Karmaloo54 -I have been having the same problem this Spring- which stunned me- as my previous males have been perfect gentlemen. I tried various tactics, asserting a "Dominant" approach, etc... to no avail. Now I have found it has everything to do with the fact that I am female and there are no longer any other male animals on property. My male dog just died this winter, and now its all females here, dog, cats, chickens, peahens etc... Myself, my daughter and my housekeeper cannot walk outside with out a fly swatter or a spray bottle. Males are never accosted. And if a man or boy accompanies us, there is no problem. The landscaper had to walk me up the driveway when my bird cornered me at the mailbox with out my fly swatter! When I am outside (armed with swatter or hose), My male bird will run along side me panting, so I'm pretty sure its a breeding/sexual thing. He just turned 2 years old, has his first eye feather, and I'm hoping he is experiencing juvenile/teen lust and will eventually get control of his hormones. Am I dreaming? Is your male bird aggressive to men, or just women? I'm curious if this sounds anything like your situation. I was trying to sit outside and read the paper this morning, and Tut was literally circling my chair! It was so annoying. Eventually, the Peahen and chickens walked by and he went off with them. IMG_7703.JPG

10. Argus

Argus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    How would the peacock know that you (and your daughter and housekeeper) are a female?

I think the more likely reason is that he was raised from hatch by a human and considers himself a human too, thus no boundaries /fear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by