Peacock coop

I purchased my first 6 from purely poultry. I bought my next 5 from a lovely older couple in Calera. I raised 3 from some of my eggs. Purchased 3 in Texas. 1 from Margaret in Edmond and 2 from blue creek farm. So a nice diverse gene pool I hope.

We have 3 males that are free roaming. I think I read somewhere they are kept like that in Asia. From what I hear there are quite a few wild ones here in the mountains of N. California. They showed up on our property about a year and a half ago and never left. Kind of like cats in that if you feed them regularly they always come home. Ours seem to roam across about 10 to 15 acres. About a mile down the road we have a neighbor with 6 males and females all free roaming. Kind of cool to drive up to their house to see peafowl on their roof.

A few of things to consider is that they fly quite well. Ours perch about 30' to 60' up in the pines. I would think that any type coop would have a 10' ceiling (cover) and some simulated trees.

A second consideration is they are LOUD. Their calls and honks can be heard miles away. They also will call at all hours of the night. If you have any neighbors within a 1/4 of a mile you will be told about it.

Finally, they are omnivorous like chickens. They will steal any dog, cat, pig or chicken food they can get their thieving little beaks into. I have seen many times my Pyrenees sleeping outside with a peacock just a few few feet away pecking away in her food bowl. The dog and peacocks get along very well together but I chalk that up to my dog being a herd dog and she gets along with all the animals.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
We have 3 males that are free roaming.  I think I read somewhere they are kept like that in Asia.  From what I hear there are quite a few wild ones here in the mountains of N. California.  They showed up a year and a half ago and never left.  Kind of like cats in that if you feed them regularly they always come home. Ours seem to roam across about 10 to 15 acres. About a mile down the road we have a neighbor with 6 males and females all free roaming.  Kind of cool to drive up to there house to see peafowl on their roof.  

A few of things to consider is that they fly quite well.  Ours perch about 30' to 60' up in the pines.  I would think that any type coop would have a 10' ceiling (cover) and some simulated trees.

A second consideration is they are LOUD.  Their calls and honks can be heard miles away. They also will call at all hours of the night.  If you have any neighbors within a 1/4 of a mile you will be told about it.

Finally, they are omnivorous like chickens. They will steal any dog, cat, pig or chicken food they can get their thieving little beaks into. I have seen many times my Pyrenees sleeping outside with a peacock just a few few feet away pecking away in her food bowl. The dog and peacocks get along very well together but I chalk that up to my dog being a herd dog and she gets along with all the animals.

Hope this helps a little.

I worked in American Canyon CA a couple years ago. The wild peacocks up there are awesome. It is was really cool to see all the wildlife.

I would like to free range mine but I'm afraid they wouldn't make it long with all the dogs around my house. I live out in the country where no one keeps thier dogs put up (I'm guilty of that one too so I can't complain) I got a Pyrenees hoping that will help but he is only 9 weeks so he won't be much help for a while.

Are we talking about total pen/coop space? I have 8 peafowl, and am in the process of building their coop. 800 sq/ft seems like a big building for peafowl. I was thinking a 8x12 with high ceilings would be fine. Their run is around 1000 sq/ft. Looking at the pictures I don’t see any large structures. They are IBs and we do get cold winters in NH.

Back
Top Bottom