peacock eggs set under a hen

patc154

Hatching
May 18, 2015
i've set peacock under a broody hen, but she got off the nest for a whole day. i put her back on & she sat for a day, then got off again. how can i test the eggs to see if they are still good?

i've set peacock under a broody hen, but she got off the nest for a whole day. i put her back on & she sat for a day, then got off again. how can i test the eggs to see if they are still good?

How long since you first put them under the hen?

If after ten days you go out and candle them at night and you see the embryo moving they are good. I will be doing this in the next few days as a couple of my hens get confused on which nest box is theirs and once one hen gets in the wrong box the chain reaction messes everything up.
barnie.gif
I have found cold eggs a couple of times already, but the results of broody sat eggs compared to incubated egg hatch rate is worth the effort.

Thanks for the help. Eggs have been in nest for 12 days, 8 on & off, 4 solid sitting. Will candle tonight.

Well, we candled the eggs that have been sat on & off and they are dark - can't see thru them. Then we did the same with eggs we had picked up yesterday & today & they were kind of transparent. Are the older eggs bad & should we just toss them?

Well, we candled the eggs that have been sat on & off and they are dark - can't see thru them. Then we did the same with eggs we had picked up yesterday & today & they were kind of transparent. Are the older eggs bad & should we just toss them?

Go to this thread and check out the pics, they are chickens eggs but the appearance is pretty much the same for all bird eggs. If your eggs look like any of these pics I wouldn't toss them. You really need to look for movement when you candle, that will tell you whether they are alive or not.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Thanks for the link. We determined our eggs are good based on the pictures. We will know in about 2 weeks! Soooo excited!

Back
Top Bottom