Peacock emergency

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by manybirds, Jan 1, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Getting the pus out is more important than the antibiotics. You could use either antibiotic, though I'm not sure either one will help. Was hoping you were going to say that you had Augmentin, Clavamox, Cipro, Keflex or Baytril.

Get the pus out ASAP!

-Kathy

2. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I got most of the pus off of it, all the flesh underneath is swollen up. They area under the eye is swollen up all the way down to his nostril and I think there's pussbin there because of how it feels but I can't push it out

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to read this:
    http://connerhills.com/sinus_infection_removal.html

Do you want to learn how to tube feed? If he were mine I would start by tubing some fluids to him, then I'd tube fluids and Kaytee Baby Bird Food. Can you take him to a vet on Monday?

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  4. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    I will read the article. Odly enough we do have kaytee baby bird food

5. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    If it was a sinus infection why would it burst through the roof of his mouth like that?

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    If something punctured through the roof of the mouth and into the sinus cavity and then if the mouth healed over but got infected. The sinus cavity is just above the mouth, below the eyes, behind the nostrils.

7. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

One of the drugs we tried when battling a bacterial infection was Penicillin G, one ml was the dosage my vet told me to use in a duplex shot with Tylan. It turned out to be a bacterial infection and neither drug worked, but when the vet told me to use it that is the dosage, one ml.

8. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Tube feeding would be very important at this stage.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Saw one like that at the feedstore. It took several days of pus removal, but I was able to get all the pus out.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Another possibility is canker. Canker is common in pigeons, but not as common in poultry. Treatment for canker is metronidazole or something similar. Really would be best to consult with a vet. Whatever it is, it's likely to need drugs that one can't get at a feed store.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by