Peacock in the City?

FitzD

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 26, 2012
Chicago
Does anyone own a Peacock in or near a city? Or is this complete ludicrous? We live in Chicago and have a fenced in yard over 2,000 sq ft. We just built a 10x20 porch in the back and thought that we could build a Pea coop under it. Its 11ft high. There is no limit on owning chickens and no laws against dogs barking in our area. so we thought that we could add a peacock to our Family
big_smile.png
.. but am i dreaming or is it possible
hmm.png
? What do we need to do? And if I can, would I have to get him a female too or will he be o.k with our chickens? Also, we want an Indian Blue, is there difference with breeds in temperaments?
Thanks!

Peacocks scream, you might want to check into how loud the can be and if they are allowed by city ordinance before you purchase one. My neighbor has some when I was a kid and we could hear them screaming from 1/2 mile away. They are LOUD.

yes, this seems to be the main concern. I just finished reading some info on keeping them and we can satisfy all but not too sure on the noise. We live in front of a main ave with traffic running all day long and highway in the back so i'm not sure if i would just add to the noise pollution or if it will help fade the peacocks screaming. My direct neighbors are fine with it but I'm not sure about the others
hmm.png

In most places if you are not allowed to keep a rooster then you will not be allowed to keep a peacock because they both make "noise"

Chicago? Yeah. You can have peacocks... If you want Rahm to personally come to your house to issue you the fine.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Does anyone own a Peacock in or near a city? Or is this complete ludicrous? We live in Chicago and have a fenced in yard over 2,000 sq ft. We just built a 10x20 porch in the back and thought that we could build a Pea coop under it. Its 11ft high. There is no limit on owning chickens and no laws against dogs barking in our area. so we thought that we could add a peacock to our Family
big_smile.png
.. but am i dreaming or is it possible
hmm.png
? What do we need to do? And if I can, would I have to get him a female too or will he be o.k with our chickens? Also, we want an Indian Blue, is there difference with breeds in temperaments?
Thanks!
If you ever get to NYC you have to visit St. John the Divine on Amsterdam and 110th street. Outside of the cathedral is a year-round pair of peacocks that stay in the side yard. The pea fowl always surprises the tourist who don't expect to see such a bird outside of a zoo.

We have them in our zoo here also, Brookfield Zoo, those were the ones that got
us hooked. We went to the feed store today and came back with a Red Silkie.
I guess we'll stick with chickens for now and wait this one out till we move to a farm..
roll.png

They are pretty loud especially during breeding season. I live south of Chicago in Valparaiso, IN . Mine are prett quiet the rest of the year. You coulod get a peahen. Not as pretty as the male but still nice, and they dont scream like the males do.

Back
Top Bottom