Peacock kicking

Much the same as a rooster flogging he may be thinking that he is defending his territory or hens. It's a behavior that can escalate and should not be tolerated. He's a big bird and can do damage with his spurs.

It is called flogging. He is getting hormonal and does not want you in his breeding territory. This is a problem with imprinted cocks who have no fear of you. I will tame my birds to eat from hand but do not touch and do not hold them. Letting them sit in your lap puts them above you in the pecking order. He is telling you that you are not welcome in his space.

Thanks for all your responses. He is my neighbors and he free ranges on my acreage. I would never touch any of them for that reason. Out of 5 of them he is the only one who has this behavior. I do carry a large stick now. And keep him away from me. Hope that’s enough.

Thanks for all your responses. He is my neighbors and he free ranges on my acreage. I would never touch any of them for that reason. Out of 5 of them he is the only one who has this behavior. I do carry a large stick now. And keep him away from me. Hope that’s enough.
If you feel comfortable catching him you can pen him to the ground and straddle him like you are breeding him. Of course you will have to yell 'Ride em Cowgirl' to put the fear of the cowgirl in him.

Can't hurt to try it.
IMG_6953.JPG

Just keep the stick handy. Peafowl are not wired behavior wise to recognize any kind of authority or dominance. There is no Alpha in peafowl
I disagree and believe there is a pecking order. When they are challenged with corporal punishment the minute you walk away they see that as winning. They sparred with you yet hold the territory, they stood up to you and they made you leave, all of which puts them above you, and lessens their fear, which encourages more of the bad behavior. These situations are hard to deal with but I know this, striking a peacock never makes it better. Penning him may not help but it will lessen the number of people that may get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom