peacock or peahen

Is that because people normally free-range peafowl and the hens get killed when they are nesting or does it have to do with normally people just have more peahens per peacock?

I know for us we get many, many more requests for hens, and the story is always the same...Predation. Be it owls, foxes, the neighbors dogs. People generally get a pair and then free range them, the first or sometimes second time they nest they are killed by something. I make it a point of telling everyone this now, letting them know that if they continue to free range the hens they will also have to continue to replace them, our area is just not safe.

I know for us we get many, many more requests for hens, and the story is always the same...Predation. Be it owls, foxes, the neighbors dogs. People generally get a pair and then free range them, the first or sometimes second time they nest they are killed by something. I make it a point of telling everyone this now, letting them know that if they continue to free range the hens they will also have to continue to replace them, our area is just not safe.

I will probably not free range again!

Back
Top Bottom