Peacock picking at shoulder

I saw your posts on FB, sorry for the problems and for the misinformation too. It is possible that he only broke a blood feather and the blood is encouraging the other birds to attack the bloody site. Fresh feathers are full of blood and when they get broken the remaining stub is like a straw that will bleed and not clot over. Be sure to pull the stub out to stop the bleeding, a pair of needle nose pliers helps. To keep other birds from pecking at that area spray some Blu-Kote over the bloody area. Putting harsh chemicals on a wound is not a good idea. If you need to treat for lice, and it sounds like you don't, use Ivermec pour-on for cattle and put 0.40 ml on the skin between the shoulders and a tiny drop behind the crest for face lice.

Oh I should have thought of that (looking for a broken quill). I'll look closer tomorrow to see if I can find something. Several of the feathers were stripped leaving only the quill hopefully it won't be hard to see anything..

The ivermectin was put in water and the stuff I placed under his wings wasn't near the wound so I feel ok about that part (it was a very small amount probably between both wings two tiny drops gently wiped along the feathers ). The only other thing I put on him was liberally sprayed Vetericyn and Rooster Booster stop pick. It seemed to help the 3 days he was penned up {let out on day 4). He's alone now, I'll keep him penned up by himself for 4 or 5 days and see if he's fine.

Do you know how many days he should be given tylan 200? I gave him 1 ml today . I think I read 5 days of tylan, but wasn't sure.

Very kind of you to assist further.

Back
Top Bottom