peacock

shalu2

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Hi, I've a neighbor who has loose peacock running around, and he wants suggestion on how to each this wild peacock. He lived in a area where, he could only have so many, and it's been out number and the county is asking to remove some of this peacock, but the problem is he doesn't know how to catch them. Suggestion out there...

I would imagine trying to catch a peacock would be hard, because they can fly up into trees and such. I wonder if you could lure it into a live trap cage device with some really tasty treats? The only trouble with this is you wouldn't be guarnanteed what you would trap lol! Maybe a local nature preserve or zoo could give some more helpful suggestions.

theres only 1 way that i know to catch peacocks.an that is follow them an findout where they roost the most at nite.then go back late nite after they went to roost .an try to catch emm.now you might have to climb up in a tree to catch them.

peafowl can roost 50 or more or less feet up high in a tree !
walk up to it and stop b4 it runs from you and throw bread? walk off .....get it used to you and then herd it into a pen with a roof..............sounds abit impossible..........dont know.
tongue.png

but you'll need lots of bread, ha haa
people used to eat them all the time..........theres no reson you cant shoot one...........wish we had wild peacocks running all over:D well, .....................

You can catch peafowl using plastic deer netting (the type used to protect plants), its thin plastic. Loosely string the net up in an area where the birds often walk through (a path, alley...). After the net is hung try laying some feed down near the netting and when the birds go for it chase them. The birds will take their normal pathway as an escape root but wont see the net. They will become tangled long enough for you to go and pick them up. This method might work for you depending on if you have the right setup for the trap. Also consider that your peafowl may get injured when they struggle in the netting.

I just chase them down - males that is. They try not to fly when the have a full tail and will prefer to run, but if your quick enough it can be done. Otherwise i've kept a door open with food and eventually they go in and you can close the door behind them.

I'm not sure that this needs a response, but I feel obligated to step in here and note:
It is my understanding that you can NOT hold onto, or catch, a peacock by its train feathers (these are the long feathers) without having the feathers pull out and possibly cause pain to the bird.
(I just didn't want someone to try this method and hurt a pea)

well its the only way to get close to a peacock cause they are too wild and if u got any better idea then name them i just just say no need to get amd over it like u never catch a chicken like that before in your life

Back
Top Bottom