Peacocks and chickens together - what meds do I need?

skidud

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Like the title says, I'm looking for a list of medications that I should have my two new peachicks on. Also any meds that I should have on hand should one get sick. I'm figuring meds for blackhead and coccidiosis would top the list but I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

:welcome
May I ask why are your peachicks with chickens? How old are they? If they are being fed starter it should be medicated starter to prevent coccidiosis. To treat them for blackgead you will need metronidazole. You can buy it in a liquid form, but the easiest way would be to purchase Fish Zole.

• Corid or Amprol for coccidiosis
  • Metronidazole for blackhead (100mg tablets and 250mg tablets)
  • Safeguard (fenbendazole 10% wormer) for most worms, but mainly for cecal and capillaria.
  • Amoxicillin for secondary infections from blackhead.
  • Baytril, for when/if the amoxicillin doesn't work.

If you're in the US, all can be purchased without a prescription.

-Kathy

And Welcome to BYC!

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
!

Here is post from our medications expert, Casportpony, which may help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/767926/peafowl-medications-and-supplies
And there is also information about this in the Peafowl Stickies:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/389059/peafowl-sticky-topics-index

*eta:
Oops! She beat me to it! (of course)

Last edited:
Here is a picture of it:

Also, would you plan on giving the medicine to your peachicks basically as a part of their diet? I would not recommend that, just like I would not recommend them to be with chickens.

Blue Creek Farm has a point... the liquid metronidazole is a very good thing to have for chicks, makes dosing much easier, but that one is a little harder to get without a prescription... It can be done, but it has to be purchased overseas and it take awhile to arrive.

-Kathy

Like the title says, I'm looking for a list of medications that I should have my two new peachicks on. Also any meds that I should have on hand should one get sick. I'm figuring meds for blackhead and coccidiosis would top the list but I'm sure there are others I'm missing.
If they are healthy, I would just worm them, no other medicine needed, IMO.

-Kathy

WOW! I go to dinner and come back to 8 replies. The peachicks are 6 to 8 weeks old now and are being kept separate from the chickens. They will likely free range when they get older whereas the chickens will stay in their coop and run.

Are the Corid, Metronidazole and Safegaurd curative or preventative meds?

Back
Top Bottom