peacocks in the snow

At my place it does not matter what the weather is doing my peas fly to the tops of the trees at dusk, but as soon as it starts getting daylight and the weather is bad they will go into the barn till it stops, yesterday they slept till noon don't think they got much sleep trying to hold on to the branches in all the wind and cold
hide.gif
This morning they are sleeping in again lots of heavey rain came and they were all soaked thank god it was only 60 degrees.

Last edited:
It was relatively warm last night, but imagine my surprise when the temperature was colder this morning, and it started snowing.

The birds ate breakfast and went back inside. Every so often they would look out. I think they were saying things that shouldn't be repeated without asterisks
lau.gif

It's been a few hours and it's clearing now, but unfortunately NOT warming up any... now supposed to get down to 18 tonight, so I'm a little worried
fl.gif

And yes, I have been watching the forecasts, but those darned weather people CHANGED it! I'm going to have to sic the peas on them
barnie.gif

Last edited:
@msmolly is in Ohio, @country_girl011 is near Dayton, Louden Farms is in northeast Ohio, and isn't that Mt. Hope Auction in Ohio too?

Maybe this thread will provide more clues:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/683554/any-other-peafowl-owners-in-ohio

eta: I wonder if @msmolly 's friend in Ohio found a home for her peas? She posted this in August:
"Hi LttleRed Shed,
As it turns out, I have a freind with two peahens, 1 year old- very tame-they came from my pair of IBs. Her neighbors are making her get rid of them(they free range). She has taken great care of them, they are real pets and shes heart broken. She would like to keep them together. She is located in Chagrin Fall, Oh and has to find a home for them NOW- or the police are going to have to site her. Here is her info [email protected] or phone is 772-486-2775."

It's from here, FYI:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/875849/advice-on-free-range-peafowl/120#post_13915236

Last edited:
Thanks again everybody. I have looked on CL and will try to contact the Louden Farm people.

It's 13F here this morning. My other option and the one my husband is urging me to follow is to take him to someone who can care for him properly. I'm in Morrow, OH, about an hour north east of Cincinnati. If someone not too far away would like him, we can probably catch him today and bring him to you.

Thanks again.

Mary

He must be fairly tame if he spent the night in your bedroom last night. No one else is going to bring him inside for the winter nor should they. He just needs a open place where he can get out of the elements when he wants to and feed and water. He would be fine if you start feeding him in your barn.

He must be fairly tame if he spent the night in your bedroom last night. No one else is going to bring him inside for the winter nor should they. He just needs a open place where he can get out of the elements when he wants to and feed and water. He would be fine if you start feeding him in your barn.

I think she's talking about finding a new home for the peacock, not for her husband!
big_smile.png

In the BEDROOM
th.gif
OMG it's a HOUSE PEA!!!
jumpy.gif
If my birds knew, they'd be down at the airport, hitching a flight to Ohio.

Yeah, that's gotta be pretty tame, if he didn't destroy the place
lau.gif
And with as many tailfeathers as you've described, he must be at least several years old...

Everyone will probably be happier if he moves to the guest bedroom in the barn ... Yes, 13F is pretty cold, but if he can keep his feet covered, he can keep them from freezing. I just made a carpet covered perch for mine. I'm too afraid of the burned toe pictures from heat tape horror stories, so it's just a flat board with carpet glued onto it and stapled underneath, far away from pea toes, but it's a whole lot warmer than bare wood. And I have deep shavings in the bird house. Remember to use pine shavings NOT cedar, as cedar outgasses chemicals that can kill the birds.

I was going to try getting through the winter with no supplemental heat, but I wimped out when the forecast started being 18 and 17 degrees, so I put the heat lamps (not the heat source of choice) back into the birdhouse over the weekend. But I managed to get them mounted much more securely and farther from the perch and everything is much safer than the improvised, hurried version from last winter. I checked to make sure nothing was getting too hot, etc. I still don't like using heat lamps, but the birds sure like it
gig.gif

You definitely need to keep this bird -- you're spoiling him like a lap pea
love.gif
It's really nice to hear what good care he's getting at your house. Hope the Loudens can help you find him a girlfriend or two. Next thing you know, there will be adorable wee peas, and you will be hooked for life
tongue2.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom