Peacocks?

Crystal 54

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Kentucky
I have a couple questions on peacocks. Can peacocks live in a coop kinda like chickens do? Can peacocks live with chickens? Can peacocks stay in a coop during the night and be let out to roam and then put back in? How big of a coop can they be put into? What other animals can peacocks live with?

Thanks! :)

Hello Crystal, and
welcome-byc.gif
!!

You'll find the answers to many basic questions about peas in the Pea Stickies (see below) and by searching the forum.
If you don't find the information you're looking for there I'd be surprised! But certainly the peafolk will be able to help you out!!

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

Look at the pictures of Zazouse.
If your place look like her place they will be " happy pea " .... in free range.

I have a couple questions on peacocks. Can peacocks live in a coop kinda like chickens do? Can peacocks live with chickens? Can peacocks stay in a coop during the night and be let out to roam and then put back in? How big of a coop can they be put into? What other animals can peacocks live with?

Thanks!
smile.png

Hi Crystal!
welcome-byc.gif
. Hopefully this answers some of your questions:
I`m not quite sure about keeping them in a coop. When you are keeping them in pens etc. make sure that it is big enough for a male peacock to display his tail. Also, the ceiling has to be fairly high because peafowl can be flighty, especially when spooked. They really enjoy perching so a perch is something you might want to consider including. I know some people who keep their peafowl with their chickens but I personally I wouldn't recommend it. Chickens carry different diseases than peafowl, so if they catch it is harder for them to fight off and can be fatal. Peacocks and peahens have some different needs than chickens. For example, I feed my peacocks and chickens different feed. They can free range and come back into their pen at night. I don't but that is only because we live in the middle of a fairly large forest with predators galore. Otherwise I would love to. Before you decide to free range you might want to consider the amount of predators in your area, what your neighbors are like etc. (sometimes they enjoy "visiting" which some neighbors don't enjoy) There are many threads on the peacock forum about peafowl pens etc. that you can check out. Good luck with your birds!!
Ella

Last edited:
Bear Creek. there are a number of people that will do that.. What are you looking for? From here shipping and shipping boxes would cost about $ 135.00 a little more or less. plus birds . Connerhills

does anyone have any peacocks for sale and willing to ship?
What part of Louisiana are you from?
I do not ship but mabe you are close enough for pickup.

If not there is another member here from Louisiana that may be closer to you, she goes by Kuntrygirl and is located in Opelousas, Louisiana.

Last edited:
I have done a lot of research with peacock and peafowl before getting one, here is my plan:
i have a shed where my duck can sleep every night that is about 6 ft tall, add a board high enough so the peacock can perch
i then built a fence outside the shed about 10ft x10ft, for both ducks and peafowl to get used to the surroundings
after a week or so, let the peacock free range, they will eventually come back usually at night to get fed.
i got my ducks before my peafowl so they can establish a place for them in the shed, because peafowl can get aggressive
i hope my plan to combine different fowl can help you with yours, i am making both duck and peafowl free range to clean up the yard and swim in the pond
they will be fine, they usually will leave each other alone or give space when one demands it

I have done a lot of research with peacock and peafowl before getting one, here is my plan:
i have a shed where my duck can sleep every night that is about 6 ft tall, add a board high enough so the peacock can perch
i then built a fence outside the shed about 10ft x10ft, for both ducks and peafowl to get used to the surroundings
after a week or so, let the peacock free range, they will eventually come back usually at night to get fed.
i got my ducks before my peafowl so they can establish a place for them in the shed, because peafowl can get aggressive
i hope my plan to combine different fowl can help you with yours, i am making both duck and peafowl free range to clean up the yard and swim in the pond
they will be fine, they usually will leave each other alone or give space when one demands it

Welcome aboard! Just a couple thoughts regarding your plan. You will want to wait more than a week before you let the peafowl free range, or you will likely never see them again. Most recommend about 2-3 months before free ranging, I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people say they locked them up for a week or two and when they let them loose they never came back. They have to be penned long enough to forget about the place they lived before you got them, as long as they remember that place they consider that their home and will try to find their way back to it. My first pair was purchased in Oct. and I never let them loose until the following May. Second.... 10 ft. by 10ft. is the recommended size for 1 peacock, several ducks and peacocks in a pen this size will be crowded and will likely take it out on each other. You say you built a fence do you have bird netting over it, Peas can fly very well. Lastly different types of poultry and waterfowl carry different types of diseases, and while the carrier may be fine with it another species may not be. Many birds can carry black head and show no symptoms, but it will kill a peacock if it isn't caught and treated quickly. make sure you research different diseases and parasites and have the correct medications on hand. Peacocks won't show signs of illness until they are already half dead! And that's not much of an exaggeration.
wink.png
Good luck with your new project.
welcome-byc.gif

Annarogetta, & Crystal54
How much land are we talking about here, like how much do they have to roam without getting in a neighbors yard or getting on the road. how much area is clear, versus wood and brush?
Can you see or hear your neighbors?
Are you home most of the time to teach them where not to go?
There is more to free ranging peas compared to other fowl, ya don't just turn um loose and walk away if you want to keep them, ya gotta shepherd them when ya first turn them loose like it has taken me a year to teach my last years hatch where not to go.

I am more than happy to help ya"ll but before i write a book here lets see what you got to work with here
You where given excellent advice already , lots to learn here
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom