Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Pics
"Peach" is not a mutation. It is the condition of being visual for both Purple and Cameo. Peach can certainly be recreated by crossing Purple and Cameo. To do so, take a male offspring from such a cross and breed him to a female of any color -- even IB. And it doesn't matter which parent is Purple and which is Cameo. Some of his daughters will be Purple, some Cameo, and a few either Peach or IB.
Crossover ... upon request!
celebrate.gif

Hi all. Im new to the peafowl world and have been doing tons of reading. And now my brain is a little sluggish. Lol. My interest are in the Bronze mutation. Ive been trying to find a picture of a punnett square to better understand the whole genetic flow. I want to start with a Bronze cock and a black shoulder hen and breed my own Bronze Black shoulders. Can anyone show me what each breeding looks like in punnet square form? Thanks

Last edited:
Why does it need to be that specific? A diagram of inheritance of two independent recessive traits would suffice. All you'd do is swap in the traits you want.

Basic Mendelian genetics demonstrated this with pea plants and several traits. You'll find yellow/green, wrinkled/smooth, tall/short, etc. It provided a model tool to use elsewhere with the inheritance of discrete traits.

Hi all. Im new to the peafowl world and have been doing tons of reading. And now my brain is a little sluggish. Lol. My interest are in the Bronze mutation. Ive been trying to find a picture of a punnett square to better understand the whole genetic flow. I want to start with a Bronze cock and a black shoulder hen and breed my own Bronze Black shoulders. Can anyone show me what each breeding looks like in punnet square form? Thanks

Not sure if I can help you or not. I am terrible at explaining things and really only know from my own experience what can happen. I read a lot of genetics info but often when applying it it doesn't come out exactly. Much like the poultry calculator. The great thing about peafowl is that they are often not nearly as messed up as other poultry. But let me tell you what I did and how it came out.

I took Bronze and bred it to IB and got IB, naturally. But I bred the hen back to her Bronze dad and made more Bronze. I sold the peacock sons and did not mess with those but probably should have, as they were split to Bronze. I was just pushing for space and needed to bring in more Bronze bloodline diversity. That is as far as I have gotten. I am not big on Bronze but will use them to make pieds and WEs, as those are my favs in almost every peafowl.
I know punnet squares can be helpful for some people starting out but soon you won;t need to write out that way, you mind will just know. And too, percentages are not exact. Luck of the draw on what you get but know what you CAN get is most important, mark every bird and keep detailed records of lineage.

[COLOR=0000CD]Not sure if I can help you or not. I am terrible at explaining things and really only know from my own experience what can happen. I read a lot of genetics info but often when applying it it doesn't come out exactly. Much like the poultry calculator. The great thing about peafowl is that they are often not nearly as messed up as other poultry. But let me tell you what I did and how it came out.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]I took Bronze and bred it to IB and got IB, naturally. But I bred the hen back to her Bronze dad and made more Bronze. I sold the peacock sons and did not mess with those but probably should have, as they were split to Bronze. I was just pushing for space and needed to bring in more Bronze bloodline diversity. That is as far as I have gotten. I am not big on Bronze but will use them to make pieds and WEs, as those are my favs in almost every peafowl.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]I know punnet squares can be helpful for some people starting out but soon you won;t need to write out that way, you mind will just know. And too, percentages are not exact. Luck of the draw on what you get but know what you CAN get is most important, mark every bird and keep detailed records of lineage.[/COLOR]

I understand that the first offspring default back to blue. But breeding back to father would not get the black shoulder to show up. I would just like to see on paper how the bronze gene and the bs gene carry. Would they both be on the same gene or seperate

Black shoulder has carried when I breed 2 BS together, generation after generation. However, if I have wild type (or barred wing, if you prefer) crossed with BS I have gotten 50% offspring to show up from one or the other, most of the time. I hate breeding those back and forth to each other but for space sake, I will do it. I am mostly partial to BS.
You do understand that Bronze comes in both BS and wild type, right? So I am not understanding your question now.

Back
Top Bottom