Peafowl 201: Further Genetics- Colors, Patterns, and More

Pics
[COLOR=0000CD]Black shoulder has carried when I breed 2 BS together, generation after generation. However, if I have wild type (or barred wing, if you prefer) crossed with BS I have gotten 50% offspring to show up from one or the other, most of the time. I hate breeding those back and forth to each other but for space sake, I will do it. I am mostly partial to BS.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]You do understand that Bronze comes in both BS and wild type, right? So I am not understanding your question now.[/COLOR]
i want to make bronze blackshoulders from scratch starting with a bronze cock and bs hen. Im just trying to understand how the genes travel as i make my crosses. I understand that the first cross will make blue split bronze and bs. And i have to breed 2 siblings from this cross " or have another pen breed the same way to keep from inbreeding" and i get a 16th of a chance to get bronze black shoulder. I would just like to see a punnet squre showing the blue split bronze and bs bred to a blue split bronze and bs.

They are independent - bronze is a color and black shoulder is a pattern.

So do they travel on separate genes? My first offspring will be Blue split bronze and bs. With this bird will he have blue on one gene and bronze, bs on the other?

Bronze is a color gene while BS is a pattern gene. You would breed a BS and Bronze resulting in an F1 generation of Indian Blue split to Black Shoulder and Bronze. Then you would have to breed them to another Indian Blue split to Black Shoulder and Bronze. That's one of the easiest ways to get a Bronze Black Shoulder. Otherwise you may lose an Bronze or Black Shoulder without even knowing it. So I would get 2 BS and 2 Bronze peafowl. That way you can get two, non related Indian Blue split to BS and Bronze chicks and breed them together and not stress out about the negative effects of breeding brother and sister.

Bronze is a color gene while BS is a pattern gene. You would breed a BS and Bronze resulting in an F1 generation of Indian Blue split to Black Shoulder and Bronze. Then you would have to breed them to another Indian Blue split to Black Shoulder and Bronze. That's one of the easiest ways to get a Bronze Black Shoulder. Otherwise you may lose an Bronze or Black Shoulder without even knowing it. So I would get 2 BS and 2 Bronze peafowl. That way you can get two, non related Indian Blue split to BS and Bronze chicks and breed them together and not stress out about the negative effects of breeding brother and sister.

I agree and understand this. I am wanting to see this on a punnett square. Do you know how to display this on a punnett square. My confusion is that the offspring from the F1 breeding only results in a 1/16th chance to get bronze bs. A punnett square only shows 1/4th, 1/2, and 3/4 chances.

it work in 2 generations so we need 2 punnett squares.
First cross .... split Bronze .... split Black shoulder .
Then second cross ... brothers and sisters ! ... 1/16th Bronze Black shoulder.

Punnett squares are used to figure out offspring combinations from crossing heterozygous individuals. Using Punnett squares for crossing homozygous individuals is not worth the effort, since all offspring will be the same with respect to the traits for which the parents are homozygous.

Bronze Barred-wing X IB Blackshoulder = 100% IB split to Bronze and Blackshoulder

What's the point in diagramming that?

:)

Punnett squares are used to figure out offspring combinations from crossing heterozygous individuals. Using Punnett squares for crossing homozygous individuals is not worth the effort, since all offspring will be the same with respect to the traits for which the parents are homozygous.

Bronze Barred-wing X IB Blackshoulder = 100% IB split to Bronze and Blackshoulder

What's the point in diagramming that?

:)

That is not the crossing i wanted to diagram. The F1 crossing is what i wanted just as Birdrain92 has shown me.

it work in 2 generations so we need 2 [COLOR=333333]punnett squares.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]First cross .... split Bronze .... split Black shoulder .[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Then second cross ... brothers and sisters ! ...  1/16th Bronze Black shoulder.[/COLOR]

Thats it! Lol. I wasnt sure how to put both the bronze mutation and bs pattern on the same 4 square punnett. And now i see why i wasnt sure because you cant. Lol. Had i paid attention in high school i probably would have remembered that.

Back
Top Bottom